gearbox oil change

RallyStarlet

Member +
just drained the gearbox oil on my gt, and the oil that came out was red. it has a aftermarket LSD but i dont know what make, but it does knock on full lock. i was thinking of putting millers race spec fully synth 75w90 gearbox oil back in the box, but what is worrying me is that the oil i drained out is red. Does it make it special oil? which means the millers stuff i have isnt the right thing to use?? please help!

james

Dave.

Member +
I have no idea about the oil you've drained out, but I reckon that'll oil will do just fine.

I use a 75w90 Fuchs Silkolene Syn5 Race oil in my car, and the millers is more or less the same, so I'd batter on with it if it was me.

Hang about and make sure some folk agree with me though lol

Dave

Dave.

Member +
According to the Opie Oils guy (assuming that oil is compatible with a LSD, and it should be...)

The knocking is just a side effect of the diff, its a sign its operational (in most/many cases). Some Factory diffs are less sever and don't cause this, but most aggressive diffs suffer from it, and there isn't anything you can do except....

Adding a friction modifier, which can silence and reduce the harshness of the diff. This also can cause abnormal/excessive wear to the Gearbox Synchro's in some cases.

This is all information I was given directly by Oil_man, and the additive info from reading on here. Its a trade off I guess.

Dave

dantheman

Member +
im running crx 75w90 millers fully synth in with my cusco lsd, but im ordering some silkoleyne tonight from opie oils as its modifyed to be suitable for lsd's. (guessing its got something in it to help with friction on the lsd and to reduce chatter/knocking) millers do an oil thats for lsd's aswell.

Rory

Lifer
Dan,

Are you using the CRX 75w90 or the CRX "LS" 75w90 BM?
The latter we cannot use, as its not designed for Syncro gearboxes...

Rory

dantheman

Member +
rory im using the standard crx 75w90 mate, i noticed the millers LS spec says not for synchromesh, ive got some of that silktrax coming from opies, has it got additive mixed in for lsd do you know?

Rory

Lifer
Dont have a bottle to hand.
But from What Opie Oils told me, its perfect for what we need.
I still run the Silkolene in with the Quaiffe.

No problems here.