Glanza won't start/ignite

Dreavens

Member +
Hey everyone!

First off let me say I am Dutch and therefore might not understand certain slang for parts and pieces. Second off thanks for having me. I have read quite some good things here. Thirdly I only recently acquired it and I must say its a Starlet 1.3 '96 converted to a Glanza, steering left. Chassis itself is Starlet... Engine is 4EFTE Glanza but.... the turbo is a T4 Subaru. Yes yes its a mix of it all and therefor a pain in the ass to solve problems. But I bought it from a guy that had it running as a project car and i'm trying to complete it.

Welp having said that , off to the problem.
When i first had it, it ignited after jumpstart (battery was dead, like more dead than my mental state rn) Battery got replaced. Fired up right away but something seemed off with the timing because it ran like shit. Eventually towed it to my buddy's garage to continue work there. Tried to start it, nothing. It injects fuel and tries but it just wont properly fire. We tried resetting the timer, i replaced the distributor cap and cables, each sparkplug cable to replaced , not the sparkplugs itself. But again nothing.

Could it be the distributor housing itself where its known the oil leaks into? (I hope not because said part is hard to acquire and a pain to restore)

I tried googling my issue though I might not have formulated it right, hence I got nowhere and I decided to sign up here and perhaps one of you guys might know the issue.

Honestly I'm at a loss now because I did very stupidly overpay for it. And I refuse to give up and admit to all my friends and family I screwed up.

Any tips or possible causes/fixes are highly appreciated because even though its a project car i really wanna continue with it and this just keeps me stuck where i am because there's no use in doing the rest if it wont even start to begin with.

-Dreavens

TLDR: Car fires but wont properly ignite. After a few starter cycles it eventually gives a loud bang through the exhaust, i reckon because at some point the fuel is ignited atleast once and the pressure just goes boom (Car didn't explode but did give me a bump on the head as i jumpscared into the roof :D )

SKINY

Lifer
Sounds like the timing could be slightly off, do you have an eml(engine management light)on on the dashboard ?

And Welcome Along :)

Dreavens

Member +

Thanks! I somehow pretty much neglected doing a read-out of the ECL and instead went to tinker on. Thanks for setting me back in the right direction

EDIT: i just looked through said guide and it is indeed pretty straight forward. However right now im on a very long work shift and can't confirm my upcoming question: Is the diagnostic check connector in the same spot on a normal starlet as it would be on a glanza?

Last edited:
ok, didn't know you had a standalone ecu...the mentioned procedure is for the stock Toyota ecu and may not work on your standalone ecu

Dreavens

Member +
as skiny stated, check your timing marks
possibly look at your standalone ecu settings,,if you are familiar with standalones

I am far from familiar with anything however eager to learn! I'll have a look see soon and then i'll report back here :)
Thanks so far for all the help though! <3

Dreavens

Member +
Thought i'd write an update here. After trying several things we managed to somehow turn it over for a minute and then noticed only 2 of the 4 exhaust pipes got warm, implicating that 2 fuel injectors are broken. So i'll try n replace those. Anyone have any lead on a decent aftermarket part?

Jay

Admin
Sorry to jump in but the injectors are powered in pairs so you could have a wiring issue. Think it's 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 from memory so that might tell you if it's a possibility in you case.

It's rare to see injectors fail on the 4E and even rarer for two to fail together.

Dreavens

Member +
Sorry to jump in but the injectors are powered in pairs so you could have a wiring issue. Think it's 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 from memory so that might tell you if it's a possibility in you case.

It's rare to see injectors fail on the 4E and even rarer for two to fail together.

No by all means do jump in haha,
I never knew that! Good to know, ill have a looksee to the wiring, thanks Jay!