Gremlins attacking my car.

Guye

Lifer
First off...I love my '92 GT to bits,
DSC03394_edited.jpg

The only regret I have is the fact that I have another daily driver (new L200 spotero) and can only make the time to drive "sabastian" every other Saturday, but I look forward to the times when I can.
I am noticing that little issues are popping up over time and I can only assume that they are caused by the lack of use, e.g. the radiator fan comes on when it feels like now, the a/c gas level has dropped so it's not cooling well, plastic bit breaking off in my hands (dry rot or I'm too strong), mysterious oil drips after a drive, alarm stopped working, recent eractic boost spikes to 20psi etc. One issue after the other.
I know enough about my car to easily fix all of the above issues, but lack of time & opportunity (e.g. I'm in Florida right now) is causing me to fall behind in basic care. I need to pay more attention to "sabastian" but I just can't find the time! Taking it to another bone-headed mechanic is out of the question, and I do really enjoy working on my own motor. Anyone else in a similar situation where the car is more of a collector's item? How do you cope?
Sorry for the rant, but I do feel better now :)

Last edited:

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
yeah man, i have many friends in the same situation as u .. its not a nice one as i feel ur not able to enjoy the car to the full.. cause u spend so much time away..

yeah the probs ur having are down to the fact that u dont drive it alot.. but some good spirited driving will sort that out im sure :D

i have a daily drive, which i got to use a rest for the glanza, but most of the time i end up driving the glanza anyways... lol its too addictive lol... (this is almost after 5 years of ownership lol ) :homer: yep i kno im nuts lol..

ps as iv told u b4 ur gt is uber sexy man!! keep up the good work :rockon:

kon

Guye

Lifer
Thanks Kon. I recently tried to give the L200 pickup back to the company and get a gas card for the GT but the boss would have none of it.
The GT was always in top shape when it was being driven every day. I just find it fustrating that with no milage being added things are still falling apart :) I though it would be the other way around. Maybe I should ask one of the local members like gorgan to help me out, drive "sabastian" for me...

sx_turbo

Lifer
i have the opposite.

i love driving and modding my car, but i have a work van for during the week, and so my car is stored in the garage, until weekends. problem is i still dont often get to drive it then, and all my mates think im mad for always offering to drive instead of getting pissed.

but it's just because i wouldnt be able to drive my car other wise.

and all my problems with things breaking have stopped now that im not using it as a daily driver

HYBRID

Thanks Kon. I recently tried to give the L200 pickup back to the company and get a gas card for the GT but the boss would have none of it.
The GT was always in top shape when it was being driven every day. I just find it fustrating that with no milage being added things are still falling apart :) I though it would be the other way around. Maybe I should ask one of the local members like gorgan to help me out, drive "sabastian" for me...

haha! bet he would love that man! u know how he is with ep's lol...

question is though, im not sure who will be more paranoid, him driving (watching every angle & corner of the road to make sure seb is taken care of), or u ... lol i think hed be more worried than u though lol..

yeah usually the worst thing to do to a car is leave it idle there... :(

Guye

Lifer
i have the opposite.

i love driving and modding my car, but i have a work van for during the week, and so my car is stored in the garage, until weekends. problem is i still dont often get to drive it then, and all my mates think im mad for always offering to drive instead of getting pissed.

but it's just because i wouldnt be able to drive my car other wise.

and all my problems with things breaking have stopped now that im not using it as a daily driver
Wish I could say the same.

Guye

Lifer
haha! bet he would love that man! u know how he is with ep's lol...

question is though, im not sure who will be more paranoid, him driving (watching every angle & corner of the road to make sure seb is taken care of), or u ... lol i think hed be more worried than u though lol..

yeah usually the worst thing to do to a car is leave it idle there... :(
He'll be fine. It's his old car he sold me after I wreck my first GT, just more powerful than when he handed it over :)

HYBRID

He'll be fine. It's his old car he sold me after I wreck my first GT.

lol... yeah i know the whole story, thats y i said hed be really paranoid lol.. u know how he is with his cars... always spotless.. lol i bet if he could hed stop those little stones in mid air (matrix style) to keep them from hitting the bumper & givin stone chips lol..

mind u hes not alone lol :D (bet u anything hell kill me after reading this lol) :D hehe

Guye

Lifer
lol i bet if he could hed stop those little stones in mid air (matrix style) to keep them from hitting the bumper & givin stone chips lol..

LMAO! So true, so true. He only sold to me and at a lowered price because I'm the same way. Anyhow I'll take 2 days or so and fix everything when I get back home. Will be interesting to see what else breaks.

Last edited:
lol... yeah i know the whole story, thats y i said hed be really paranoid lol.. u know how he is with his cars... always spotless.. lol i bet if he could hed stop those little stones in mid air (matrix style) to keep them from hitting the bumper & givin stone chips lol..

mind u hes not alone lol :D (bet u anything hell kill me after reading this lol) :D hehe

AH...i see u all guys are speaking about me..and yes hyrbid....u know i will have o kill u know..lol:p:p
yes...all the above is true....i always want my rides in TOP condition....nothing else will do.........newguye has come to realise my perpetual need to prestine condition

and i will take a look at his ep82 for him next week and try to see what me and my mechanic can do for him (and my mechanic is just like me 2....lol)...its only right that "sebastien" is well taken care of---its basically part of the sale deal---i wonder who else provides such an after sale service:p

and we all know that "sebastien II" recieves the best....likewise his older brother needs the same

and yeah...newguye did some mods to the car after the sale...so its much faster now

- oil leaks....no problem to fix...maybe just seals hardening from limited use
- radiator fan...sounds electrical...either wiring or sensor or fan itself...maybe sensor, as the car has some age
- alarm...maybe electrical or its given up the ghost...they tend to do that sometimes
- boost spike....maybe vacume line leaks, etc....should be able to fix also
a/c gas -----u need to regas....should not be a problem for a guy like u...:)...i'm sure u have your connections...:)

maintenance - WILL be done

i think that covers it....i'll just go back and practice my matrix moves in the mean time....never know when the next stone is going to come....LOLOLOL