GTiR.

Sigma

Member +
Decided to think about swapping my GTT for a GTiR Nissan.

Anyone know the owners club sites?

Made the mistake of not waiting for a well priced GT to come up, and ended up paying slightly over the odds for mine, not going to make the same mistake again.

Help?

Rep for all constructive replies.

Tommy

Jay

Admin
I used to think they were a mad looking, aggressive, fast alternative for when I could afford the fuel. That has changed.

After seeing a mate go through the ownership of two of them I think I'll just stick to the Toyota. They are a bugger to work at too so I couldn't even fix it when it gets troublesome.

A2KLAU

Member +
I'm guessing its the Pulsar GTiR.. They are really mean and quick cars! But from what I have heard from people who've owned them in the past they have either moved to Honda Type Rs or Toyota Celica ST or GT4s or the like.. when they work they are fab but very high maintenance.. Defo do your homework before jumping in.

My 2p worth..

jf84

Member +
Think hes on about a pulsur.

One of my mates a 400 bhp FWD pulsur. That was mad but just could not get traction in the DRY! Saxo VTR beat it off the line lol. GTiR Would be pretty cool tho :p I say go for it.

davehart

Member +
I'm guessing your after a Pulsar?

They are fun, very quick good handling cars to have but do have a few drawbacks over other motors.

They do use a lot of fuel and have a few common areas that can be expensive to keep fixing. A few people I know that have run one found them expensive to maintain and a pain in the arse to fix.

It's also worth shopping around for a good one and worth waiting for a mint one to pop as you'll have less problems with it.

stedee

Member +
gtir modifiers club and gtiroc, abit up there own arses on there, i swapped my gtir for a gtt, i never had a problem with my pulsar, owned it nearly a year running 1bar roughly 300hp, ive had more problems with my gt in 2 months than the pulsar ever gave me. the standard ecu can handle alot of mods and you can get it remapped aswell for 300 quid. the only downside to mine was petrol -yeah they drink and i mean drink, how ppl have bigger injectors and run 400 + hp is beyond me, but alot of the time i wish i hadnt swapped because of how reliable my ol pulsar was.

davehart

Member +
I think its when folk start putting more power through them that things go wrong on them but then again I've had no porblems with my GT for the years I've owned it.

Guess its just down to the individual machine and how its looked after at times.

sussex_gti

Member +
Get a good one and they are spot on. Ignore the gearbox worries, most have been re-built by now and if your a sensible drivers who doesnt do full throttle launches you'll be fine. They fail down to driver abuse, and poor maintainance. Keep it on the original turbo, run 1 bar and concentrate on brakes and handling and you'll love it.

herbie

Member +
I owned a Pulsar for a about one year. These cars are serious money pits so choose carefully. Every job is difficult and labour intesive as there is very little space to work in under the bonnet. Engine out job just to change a clutch or water pump.
There are 3 rubber coolant pipes at the rear of the engine block which perish - £500 just to change them as the head has to come off just to get access!!

Choco gearboxes are notorious. I went through 2 and the car was only running 280 bhp. Ive heard of standard cars eating boxes.

They sell for very little cash nowadays. The best examples are to be found on www.gtiroc.com

As mentioned, rust on the arches are a problem

cameroon95

Member +
Yip some of the gearboxes are a bloody nightmare, put me off getting one due to the cost of repair.

Plus they look awful at the back

dantheman

Member +
ive had 4 and funny enough ended up with a starbo again.... gearbox's are shit, some last longer than others, its down to luck, not how yoo drive it. ive blown 2 boxes on a stock engine without launching it. 3rd gear tends to go, or mainshaft bearing, or clutch fork snapping.. bastard to work on, engine out for alot of things like coolent hoses on rear of the block, knock sensor..

theyre not fast at all standard, my bro's polo g40 was neck and neck with my first gtir, (stock gtir 225bhp vs stock g40 113bhp) so expect a saxo vts to be on your bumper until top end lol

build quality is shite lol they like to rot like fords.

BUT they are fun cars and big power can be had, but it wont be cheap ownership thats for sure.. learnt my lesson now and returned to the trusty 4e :p

StarbowBoi

Member +
ive had 4 and funny enough ended up with a starbo again.... gearbox's are shit, some last longer than others, its down to luck, not how yoo drive it. ive blown 2 boxes on a stock engine without launching it. 3rd gear tends to go, or mainshaft bearing, or clutch fork snapping.. bastard to work on, engine out for alot of things like coolent hoses on rear of the block, knock sensor..

theyre not fast at all standard, my bro's polo g40 was neck and neck with my first gtir, (stock gtir 225bhp vs stock g40 113bhp) so expect a saxo vts to be on your bumper until top end lol

build quality is shite lol they like to rot like fords.

BUT they are fun cars and big power can be had, but it wont be cheap ownership thats for sure.. learnt my lesson now and returned to the trusty 4e :p

Dan your bk on the starlets then?

Pulsars... you got love em, rear arch rustbuckets, stupid petrol and maintenance... true they are not that quick, if you want nice power your gona need lots of $$$$.

Jaak

Member +
I have had a N/A version of the GTiR a couple of years ago.
I was racing one day and one of the waterpipes broke. It was located at the bottom of the engine. Cost me 500 quid to repair one little hose.
Same with the clutch. Very expensive to repair.
I also always had problems with the electronics. Everytime i would hit redline, my foglight's fuse would go, and then the car would start.
Then my alarm made some really weird noises like R2D2 or sumting and I had to tow it away. damn.