Handbrake seized solid

marty

Member +
Just went out this morning after mild snow and the handbrake is seized soild! I need to get to work but i can't drive the car like this. Thought it might be the calipers frozen to the disc but after throwing hot water round them it's still solid.

Handbrake lever also feels like there is no tension in it at all.

Any help appreciated, need to drive 40 odd miles to work asap and she's like a dog dragging its arse on the carpet at the minute..still won't budge!!

Cheers

Jay

Admin
A few precise applications of special tool #1 should free it off:

Ball-Pein-Hammer.jpg

H_D

Member +
Pour boiling water on the rear calipers i had to do that this morning and every other morning when i have left my handbrake up.
Its best to leave your car in gear on cold nights and do not apply your handbrake.

Mikey4410

Member +
Every single starlet i have had does that when its cold.

Its the starlet way,i just drive dragging the car along then on the main road when the wheels grip it takes about a mile to release and free up fully.

Used to it now.....

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
Every single starlet i have had does that when its cold.

Its the starlet way,i just drive dragging the car along then on the main road when the wheels grip it takes about a mile to release and free up fully.

Used to it now.....

had to do this a few times myself, when I didnt have the time to free it up properly, due to heading to work or whatever. Its obviously not the best way and will be hard on brakes and rear tyres but they usually free up within a few minutes.

After that I just stuck with only leaving it in gear, and very slighty on the handbrake if needed

dac69er

Super Moderator
ive only had it once when the handbrake cable was knackered and split. never had it any other time.

marty

Member +
Ended up drifting up and down my road a few times until I got to the main road and hit a bit of grip and they unstuck..pain in the ass like! Only happened once before but not this bad!

Never thought of the hammer Jay..and that's usually the first thing I reach for lol! I was in a subtle mood this morning and used a hairdryer...don't waste your time folks!!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Oh Dear -) Just don't use the handbrake in the winter, simple as that -) I never ever use my handbrake, it's in mint condition, it's only being used when the car is going through MOT -))))))))) In fact I don't even need a handbrake, I have a Parking Gear - P -)