handling problem, help please !

glanzaj03

Member +
ok, this problem is actually regarding my ibiza but the problem itself is not seat specific so i thought i'd ask you guys as i seem to get more help on this forum. right, when i first bought the car it handled brilliantly, like it was on rails (it's lowered on fk coilovers). the other day i hit a MASSIVE pot hole and i mean MASSIVE ! since hitting the pot hole the front of the car feels knackered. if i give it some on a bend or an island now the front end slides all over the place and if i floor it the front end lifts up and feels like the wheels are "wobbling" if that makes sense ? also when i go over a speed hump the front end bounces as i come down it. it never did any of this before, the front end was stiff with no bouncing or sliding round bends at all. there also seems to be some oil on the front n/s wheel which looks like it's leeked from somewhere. any idea's people ?

many thanks.

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
it could very well be a knackered damper mate by the sounds of it. it'll make the car alot bouncer and may also cause the shaking if it's badly knackered.

glanzaj03

Member +
it could very well be a knackered damper mate by the sounds of it. it'll make the car alot bouncer and may also cause the shaking if it's badly knackered.

thanks for the reply mate. i know a fair bit about cars in general but i'm far from a mechanic so excuse me being thick but what's the damper ? is that the shock absorber itself, as in the whole coilover ? lol :homer:

cheers.

Last edited:

boostup

Member +
thanks for the reply mate. i know a fair bit about cars in general but i'm far from a mechanic so excuse me being thick but what's the damper ? lol :homer:

cheers.

its the actual coilover i think......and if u said its leacking then more then likly its fuked thats why its bouncing as all the oil has come out of it thats what used to happen to my trd coilovers at the back used to bounce all over the place

glanzaj03

Member +
its the actual coilover i think......and if u said its leacking then more then likly its fuked thats why its bouncing as all the oil has come out of it thats what used to happen to my trd coilovers at the back used to bounce all over the place

thanks mate. these coilovers have only been on the car 6 months MAX ! so does that mean they're knackered as in i need new one's ?

glanzaj03

Member +
that makes sense actually caus the wheel with the oil on is the one that hit the pot hole which leads me to my next question.....so will i have to replace the shock/spring itself and if so can they be bought seperately ? they usually come as a set of 4 don't they ? also, is it likely to just be the one i hit that's knackered or will the other side be fcuk'd aswell ?

Franza1

the damper is the cylinder in the center of the coilover. basically what it does is it stops the springs being so bouncy by stopping them recoiling as fast as they would

boostup

Member +
thanks mate. these coilovers have only been on the car 6 months MAX ! so does that mean they're knackered as in i need new one's ?

depends mate need to take them off and have a look at the extent of the damage but if u said thay are leacking then they deffo need repairing and it depends if they are repairable or not and you need to find some one who can repaire them thats if they are repairable.

Franza1

it may just be the one that's knackered, you could possabilly get it sent back for repairs.

glanzaj03

Member +
the damper is the cylinder in the center of the coilover. basically what it does is it stops the springs being so bouncy by stopping them recoiling as fast as they would

got ya. thanks mate. so can they be repaired or will it need replacing ? and can they be bought individually ?

cheers

boostup

Member +
that makes sense actually caus the wheel with the oil on is the one that hit the pot hole which leads me to my next question.....so will i have to replace the shock/spring itself and if so can they be bought seperately ? they usually come as a set of 4 don't they ? also, is it likely to just be the one i hit that's knackered or will the other side be fcuk'd aswell ?

the ones thats leacking must be fuked but u can dubble check the ova one to see if its ok and am not sure if u can buy them as singels mate

durmz

Member +
get intouch with the company that makes em mate, get ure front wheels off and inspect, ide imagine it'd just be the one thats fucked, and they should be able to repair it, or replace a single one.

glanzaj03

Member +
thanks for all the replies guys. i'll have to contact them and see what's what. hopefully it's just the one that's knackered and not both. :mad:

glanzaj03

Member +
^^^
^^^
^^^

thanks guys. i'm gonna take the wheel off tomorrow and have a good look, see what's what. also, surely they are under warrenty and although it was a very big pot hole the coilovers are only 6 months or so old ! can't be forking out for new coilovers every time i hit a hole or bump in the road. it did seem to hit the pot hole hard though, there's was a real bang when i hit it and i felt it go through my bones. my passanger thought we'd hit something it was that bad ! i'm gonna try and get a number or e-mail contact for fk tomorrow to find out.

thanks for the replies guys.