handling still not right...

Adam_Glanza

Member +
hi guys,

just had my full 4 wheel alignment done, every setting was pretty far out tbh, but it still doesnt feel right at all?

my coilovers are still quite high, i put them to just under standard position due to it having a bodykit and didnt wanna ruin it..

could it be that its just not low enough to get the maximum feel?

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
not necessaraly. height wouldn't have much to do with stearing feel. You'd be better off checking your bushes and conections in the front end. may be worn bushings.

if you have camber ajustment on the coiloves i would recoment runnig a slight bit of camber somwhere between .5 and 1.5 degrees is best recomended.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
all bushes are fine im pretty sure, had them checked over but 90% sure its ok.

it just feels like something is wrong / not done up properly makes me feel like i just wanna sell it

Dan3SGTE

Member +
personally i think the ride height has a huge impact on steering feel, the way it turns around bends etc..... And i mean huge difference.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
its hard to explain, but my old starlet felt like it handled like 10x better, just on standard shocks and tein springs!

it feels quiet boaty and sort of steering from the rear, my cousin who i was following said that the front looks like its lifting quite high up and the rear is squating sort of, thats why i thought the height is all messed up.

i also had a sort of random pull to the left, and it wasnt the same feeling as a diff etc its just so hard to explain, felt like the top mount was loose and sliding left to right

Franza1

Supermoderator & Area Reps Manager
personally i think the ride height has a huge impact on steering feel, the way it turns around bends etc..... And i mean huge difference.

it does to a degree because of the center of gravity of the car, but not majorly. Dampening has much more of an impact on stearing responce.

Do you have dampening ajustment on the car? if you do you could set the rear one notch stiffer than the rear.

Are you sure front and rear are the same height?

What sort of coilovers do you have? Do you know the specs of them Spring compression ratio Etc.

sounds to me like your car is transfering too much weight to the rear, Are you getting a bit of understear?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
its more sort of understeering, like the back is trying to overtake the front at times!

there the tein super strut coilovers think 3.kg front 2.5 rear

steveatyork

Member +
re

i had this problem when i had my old ep82 it was shit for handling.prob the worst car ive been in. used to lurch into corners.that had only lowering springs on. at the time i thought it was just the way they were.but now ive got the glanza with just lowering springs on and it handles preety good. not really answering ur question. cause i never did find out what was up with.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
lol aye!

i think im gonna try lowering it as much as i can so that it doesnt rub/bang the wheels, and see if that improves anything.

drove my cousins fiesta with coilovers and it outhandles my car completely!

dac69er

Super Moderator
lol aye!

i think im gonna try lowering it as much as i can so that it doesnt rub/bang the wheels, and see if that improves anything.

drove my cousins fiesta with coilovers and it outhandles my car completely!

fiestas are particulary decent handling cars though!

Dan3SGTE

Member +
yeah you are right franza, the dampers play a huge part also, but this really sounds like his car is sat a bit on the high side.

I think without complicating the situation adam, lower the bugger some more, its easy, no cost and dam worth a try before going deep into the problem.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
a mk4 fiesta? yeah i suppose they have quite light / nimble steering which i do like, but i mean there is a big difference!

i cant throw the car into corners like i used too, it actually feels sort of unsafe at times

Adam_Glanza

Member +
aye but looks sexy! came on the car neway lol.

unfortunately havent had much luck with this car so far but im determined to conquer it lol

cole

Member +
i had the same problem with mine
i put some yokohama advan neova tyres on it and it felt like a diffrent car couldnt believe the diffrence !

Gee

Member +
You got pictures of these fitted Adam?

My car handles good and I am on D2's. The steering can feel really light at the front sometimes thou which annoys me. Think I am going to have a overhaul and change the bushes etc.

BTW, can ride height be change with buggering up the geometry?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
no ride height isnt affected from geometry,

infact im kinda annoyed at myself as i should of lowered it properly first, and then got the alignment done after! im probably gonna have to get it done all over again now lol.

will hopefully be going 2 lower it later today