Hard wearing tyres, Help and advice needed

Elaine

Lifer
Ok I am getting through front tyres every 6-8 weeks I think I need to try a different brand…

I don’t drive particularly hard but I do, do a lot of driving covering about 300-500 miles a week.

I no the last lot went after the air filed day that’s fine I expected that but I do think that there has to be some better ones than what I am currently using…

I used Toyos atm I have tried a couple of different types with in the range and over all I am not very imprested.

I know fuck all about tyres I would be very grateful for some help and recommendations.

Thanks lads
E :)

Elaine

Lifer
lol I thought that was quiet good :(

Yes as far as I know car is spot on when driving never pulls on either side something I might need to look at???

Kelly

Member +
^ as above thats a very short time.

I recommend eagle f1's! my car is driven about 200miles per week. plus every other month i do a 500mile round trip to southampton and back and they last ages. Best tyres for handling unless your comparing against semi slicks. I also get my aliggnment and tracking etc checked very often. And swap tyres from front to back when they are getting a wee bit worn.

sx_turbo

Lifer
elaine, i have toyo's and i cover about 7000 miles per year, i can get at least 2 years out of mine.

sure theres nothing wrong?

also harder wearing tyres is a trade off with grip.

you could try eagle f1's people say these last quite some time

when was the last time you got your tracking checked?

are the tyres wearing evenly? or is 1 side going bald?

Elaine

Lifer
Thanks for that Kelly I will get the her looked at but I dont think there will be much if any ajustmunt needed like I say the car drives spot on...

As for swopping from front to back I have never been a fan of that I would just rather get new ones... How long do your f1 last?? Are they a harder compount than the toyo's do you know??

Mike@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.Tuning
I've managed to get almost 15k miles out on a set of F1s on mine, they really need changing now tho!

Elaine

Lifer
I was told the tracking gets done every time I have new tyres put on…I will get the police workshop boys to take a look for me see what they say.

Ricky I am covering a lot more miles than you and having seen the roads around your way I would say your roads surfaces are a lot better than down here. I am not looking for a cheaper tyre just looking at what options are available do you not think the f1’s are so good?? I need grip other wise my car will not stay in the road…

The front left wears faster that the right I would say it’s more on the outer side of the left than anywhere.

Texx

Super Moderator
F1's are definitely a softer compound than T1-R's.

I've used T1-R's for the last 18 months and on average a front pair last me around 12000 miles. T1-R's do have a tenancy to fall apart when they over heat (which doesn't take too long, especially on a track).

Elaine, are your tyres wearing flat across the tread, or feathering out to one edge? For tyres to wear that quickly, I'd say your either wheel spinning too much, entering corners way too fast, or your steering geometry and suspension alignment are way out of spec.

Can you get a photo of the tread wear?

sx_turbo

Lifer
I was told the tracking gets done every time I have new tyres put on…I will get the police workshop boys to take a look for me see what they say.

Ricky I am covering a lot more miles than you and having seen the roads around your way I would say your roads surfaces are a lot better than down here. I am not looking for a cheaper tyre just looking at what options are available do you not think the f1’s are so good?? I need grip other wise my car will not stay in the road…

The front left wears faster that the right I would say it’s more on the outer side of the left than anywhere.

i know that, my point was that you should be getting between 10 + 15 000 miles out of a set, unless you go wheel spinning everywhere.

tracking doesnt get checked everytime you have tyres changed, it normally only gets done when you ask for it to be done. unless there extremely efficient which i highly doubt going by most garages and tyre shops.

unless a friend is doing it

and the roads where i go certainly arent no better than yours, you only went on a couple of roads, and they were relatively new ones.

although you do live on a farm

Last edited:

Kelly

Member +
Thanks for that Kelly I will get the her looked at but I dont think there will be much if any ajustmunt needed like I say the car drives spot on...

As for swopping from front to back I have never been a fan of that I would just rather get new ones... How long do your f1 last?? Are they a harder compount than the toyo's do you know??

Swapping from front to back just means i usually end up replacing all my tyres at the same time which i would prefer. I dont see the harm in swapping them round to make the tyres wear evenly rather than replacing the front and leaving the back.

My f1's lasts months! infact so long i cant even remember! But if you said your road surfaces are bad that isnt going to help. I cry everytime i drive around southampton and other areas the road conditions are appauling down south (or at least thats the impression ive got)

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
6 to 8 weeks?!?!?! thats insane lol.. the shortest tires i had which lasted the least where the bf goodrich comp t/a drag radials.. they only lasted 8 months :( but they where very soft tires.. & where used daily..

something isnt right elaine, unless ur driving on a marble compound tarmac.. such as tracks alot.. coz then yes they get eaten alive.. either that or change the place u buy tyres from.. one last thing are they balanced correctly?

alignment DOES NOT get done everytime u change tires.. who the hell told u that ???lol.. thats about the daftest thing iv ever heard lol..

kon

Elaine

Lifer
Texx I don’t drive hard wheels pining ect really not my thing.

I do drive had on track and my last air filed day was only a few weeks ago. I find it odd that’s the left is the worst out f them as I am drive clockwise round the track so surely the right wheel would take the brunt???

I will take some pics for you if that helps but will have to wait till I get home.

Ricky again I only know what I am told… I don’t know F all about tyres or tracking was easy in the 200 as Ian sorted it out.. :(

Thanks for everyones help this is a new area for me :)

Dave.

Member +
I've covered waaaaay over 10k on my Yokohama Parada spec II's and they've been awesome...

Ok in the wet too, but in the dry they are somethign else. I went from Bridgestone Potenza RE01R's, and the difference isn't somethign I've noticed, which is impressive as the price of the yokies is very reasonable...

Me, hubbygt, and a good few folk I know swear by them (Civic ESi and 205gti owner)

Dave

sx_turbo

Lifer
for peace of mind elaine i would get 4 wheel alignment done, you have prob changed the geometry with the coilovers.

whether it's been changed enough to make a difference i dont know but you wont tell unless you get it checked.

as for the tyre shop to check the tracking it's highly unlikely they do it everytime, can i ask who told you?

they do balancing everytime, sure u not getting the 2 mixed up?

Elaine

Lifer
alignment DOES NOT get done everytime u change tires.. who the hell told u that ???lol.. thats about the daftest thing iv ever heard lol..

kon

Kon I was told by my friend that fits them and as I tent to trust my friends what eles can I do but take the word of a friend????

HYBRID

get the info double checked elaine.. u get tracking// alignment done when:

1.) u do some kind of alteration to the suspension, ie lower/higher etc
2.) after changing bushings/balljoints
3.) after installing a panhard rod
4.) when adjusting camber

Thats all of it from the top of my head, thats y theres a forum, so that u can always double check the info ur given :)

Well thats the best advice i can give u at least ;)
kon

Elaine

Lifer
get the info double checked elaine.. u get tracking// alignment done when:

1.) u do some kind of alteration to the suspension, ie lower/higher etc
2.) after changing bushings/balljoints
3.) after installing a panhard rod
4.) when adjusting camber

Thats all of it from the top of my head, thats y theres a forum, so that u can always double check the info ur given :)

Well thats the best advice i can give u at least ;)
kon

Ok Kon thanks for this, the only big thing I have changed on my suspension is adding coilovers...........

I will ask someone to take a look for me :D

HYBRID

i dont think its anything to do with the coilovers.. unless uv got alot of camber.. which cant be coz ud only get wear on 1 side of the tyre..

u may want to switch to a harder compound elaine.. that may be the best solution for u.. iv had the same potenza g3's which came with the car for about 4 years now lol.. there still is some life in them , oh & iv done around 90000kms in them lol...

kon