headgaskets??

97glanzat

Member +
have been shopping around for a head gasket for a while now...was looking at getting a steel gasket but dont know which 1 would be best...im running around .9-1bar...i have recently had engine trouble and have had to get the head skimmed and oil seals replaced..
any sugestions as to a good gasket to get??? cheers lads

350ep70gr

Member +
standard hg is more than enough for this boost. Even on 1.2 bar in the long run with no problems(tested).And if your internals are stock really dont need a metal one. Price for the oem hg should be something like 40 euros. If you wan to have a metal one then a good choise is cruise or zep and something like 250-300 euros.Try the traders around here for prices!
Hope it helps
Chris

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
chris is spot on, iv used the oem hg for 21psi for a long time in the past, i only got a metal hg coz i had a full forged buildup..

one important thing to remember is if u use a metal hg u MUST skim BOTH head & block as it wont seal as well..

Starbus

Member +
chris is spot on, iv used the oem hg for 21psi for a long time in the past, i only got a metal hg coz i had a full forged buildup..

one important thing to remember is if u use a metal hg u MUST skim BOTH head & block as it wont seal as well..

If been using metal head gaskets without problems on various cars, i've never skimmed the block unless out of tolerance and NEVER had a problem.

This is from standard honda's to 400+bhp. Civic's integra's S2000s.
Evo's in stock to 600+bhp form etc etc.

Aidan-G

Member +
check the block/head with a straight edge like a steel ruler and see if you can get the feeler guage inbetween them,if the car hasnt overheated youl be fine,just check the tolerance

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
check the block/head with a straight edge like a steel ruler and see if you can get the feeler guage inbetween them,if the car hasnt overheated youl be fine,just check the tolerance

funny that... my car NEVER overheated or suffered gasket problems of any sort, however when we took the block & head to be skimmed the engineer found the head off by 2 thou & the block off by 4 thou....

toyota use composite gaskets for a reason.. thats so that they dont have to make sure each engine is blueprinted.. ;)

kon

Last edited:

350ep70gr

Member +
If been using metal head gaskets without problems on various cars, i've never skimmed the block unless out of tolerance and NEVER had a problem.

I think Kon advise the best he could. It is down the person if he will follow the advise or do as his mind thinks. Also all the heads are not the same alloys so in some will be more critical. Try replacing a BMW hg with a metal one without skimming both side and see what happend...
The other critical part is the roughness of the surface exept the flatness.

sx_turbo

Lifer

starlets are fininky fuckers of an engine,

i can agree with kon, and i'm sure dave burwash will agree also, and i know gt_elaine (no longer has her starlet) engine builder also found out the hard way.

metal gaskets have a high chance of not sealing on a 4e and 5e engine.

sx_turbo

Lifer
funny that... my car NEVER overheated or suffered gasket problems of any sort, however when we took the block & head to be skimmed the engineer found the head off by 2 thou & the block off by 4 thou....

toyota use composite gaskets for a reason.. thats so that they dont have to make sure each engine is blueprinted.. ;)

kon

x2, again i'm in agreement

Starbus

Member +
I think Kon advise the best he could. It is down the person if he will follow the advise or do as his mind thinks. Also all the heads are not the same alloys so in some will be more critical. Try replacing a BMW hg with a metal one without skimming both side and see what happend...
The other critical part is the roughness of the surface exept the flatness.

But BMW blocks are alloy like you say, the 4e isn't. S2000 and Civic blocks are also alloy, some semi closed deck and some are fully open deck. Evo's are probably the closest to compare from what i listed to the 4e and i've never skimmed a block. I could add more to the list.

IMO check the block is flat if you feel the need, but i've never come accross this problem. I've only ever had a couple of block skimmed, both times this was part of the spec to raise the compression ratio.

Back to the original question i think the toyota standard gasket will be fine. (just trying to save some money and possible worry) :)

Starbus

Member +
starlets are fininky fuckers of an engine,

i can agree with kon, and i'm sure dave burwash will agree also, and i know gt_elaine (no longer has her starlet) engine builder also found out the hard way.

metal gaskets have a high chance of not sealing on a 4e and 5e engine.

To be perfectly honest there a fairly basic engine in there design and materials used when compared to others mentioned.

Metal gaskets are ALWAYS less likely to seal though, lots of people find this out on various cars, IMO its more important to make sure everything is in tolerance, and most importantly clean and free of oil. Use something like acetone just before you put the head on to make sure its completely clean.