Heat soak

ep82morzy

Member +
While its been nice this week I've had a few days off work,and noticed quite abit that this really warm weather Effects turbo'd cars quite bad...car doesn't seem any where near as pokey as normal.i dread to think what the guys running td04 and 05s are like in this heat

WallaceGlanza

Member +
While its been nice this week I've had a few days off work,and noticed quite abit that this really warm weather Effects turbo'd cars quite bad...car doesn't seem any where near as pokey as normal.i dread to think what the guys running td04 and 05s are like in this heat

It will actually be better for the guys running bigger turbos as they're not working so hard. But yeah it makes a big difference on the stock turbo.

kemnaychris

Member +
Yeah dude I run a td12 hybrid version 2 I noticed that too as my car was mapped the 2 weeks of really hot weather n when I go out in cold nights it don't go as fast as hot days so am sure when mapped in the hot it does run better but maybe that's due to map I have lol

AdamB

Member +
Best time to get a car mapped is during spring, around Feb-March time.
It does make a difference and would be good to see how well these intercoolers are working :)

ep82morzy

Member +
I was shocked this afternoon went out in my car let it warm
Up and have it a little bit,and doesn't feel half as quick as a cool day or nightime!like you say it
Would be good to see just how efficient the front mount
Intercoolers.

kemnaychris

Member +
Yeah think mapping at high or low temps there will be a difference but could not be sure as don't have a clue lol I just pay the man n it's done lol :)

ep82morzy

Member +
Yeah think mapping at high or low temps there will be a difference but could not be sure as don't have a clue lol I just pay the man n it's done lol :)

the cooler/denser the air cuming into your engine mate the better it will run,so i very much doubt it runs better/faster on a hot day due to higher intake temps which will inturn reduce power
but like u say it could all be down to the way its mapped

kemnaychris

Member +
Yeah Mate I know that :) but maybe it's mapped that way due to the extreme heat that day lol but it still goes like stink :) just felt better in the warmer days not freezing night lol always hold 1.42 bar all day regardless just feels different in dif weather conditions :) But getting it mapped again after summer when k26 goes on can't wait :)

STARLET N/A

Member +
i reckon the intercooler cold side will be getting warm, as the sun is beaming down on the bonnet + hot exhaust temps floating around engine bay,

most people dont realise insulation wrap on the cold side makes a good difference. there are many parts of the engine bay that can radiat heat onto the piping and we use metal for piping it absorbs the heat from parts like distributor, radiator ect.

after you have been out for a drive, check the pipes and see what temps they are.

Paul_JJ

Member +
i reckon the intercooler cold side will be getting warm, as the sun is beaming down on the bonnet + hot exhaust temps floating around engine bay,

most people dont realise insulation wrap on the cold side makes a good difference. there are many parts of the engine bay that can radiat heat onto the piping and we use metal for piping it absorbs the heat from parts like distributor, radiator ect.

after you have been out for a drive, check the pipes and see what temps they are.

Both my hot pipe and the cold pipe are heat wrapped and it does make a difference indeed!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Yeah my top mount is not great in this weather.gettin cooked in there

Top mount? you mean interwarmer? Without injection is no use at all in the summer, even in the winter after a couple of hard runs it's not as efficient!

Front mount all the way and it does make a HUGE difference in the summer compared to the top mount! Saying that hot weather makes my car a bit slower indeed, but not a lot!
Another think standard air intake - relocate the filter in front of the radiator and in the summer (hot days) you can feel cold air coming out of the blowers without the AC, before the relocation it was just hot air all the way, so If I could feel it in the car, I'm sure the engine can feel it as well.

Mind you, my AC does an awesome job, I finally used this year, awesome bit of kit and doesn't use a lot of petrol at all like other cars, I've managed 270 miles before the light started to flash of which 200 motorway in traffic (5 hour drive), 70 miles of hard city driving, and around 100 miles were with the AC on... NOT a bad result in my opinion!

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Top mount? you mean interwarmer? Without injection is no use at all in the summer, even in the winter after a couple of hard runs it's not as efficient!

Front mount all the way and it does make a HUGE difference in the summer compared to the top mount! Saying that hot weather makes my car a bit slower indeed, but not a lot!
Another think standard air intake - relocate the filter in front of the radiator and in the summer (hot days) you can feel cold air coming out of the blowers without the AC, before the relocation it was just hot air all the way, so If I could feel it in the car, I'm sure the engine can feel it as well.

Eh, how can relocating the engine air filter make the cabin vents put out cooler air!? They're totally unrelated!... I do agree though if you have the filter taking in cooler air to start with it obviously will make the intercooler's job easier

Paul_JJ

Member +
I know that, the only explanation I can think of is the engine bay runs cooler and the vents get less heat soak?