heater matrix and wet footwell

_shaun_

Member +
well for ages ive had no heating and a wet pass footwell so put it down to heater matrix.
went to swap today and when i was looking at bolts to remove to get dash out i spoted the cable that operates the hot/cold was stuck.
decided to free it up then try heaters again and they working spot on now. but that doesnt answer why my passanger side footwell has a built in swimming pool?.
car has lost a little coolant prob about half the expanstion tank but thats since i changed the thermo about 3 months ago so doesnt seem like a massive amout of coolant considering the pass footwell it totaly soaked and i felt all up the carpet its just the floor pan bit thats wet the carpet that runs up the bulk head is bone dry. so am in two minds if both probs were unrelated and it was the heater cable causing the heaters not to work and a dodey door seal or something causing the swimming pool.

one question that might clear it up is i presume the heater dail controls the waterflow into the heater matrix so if this was always closed ( due to cable being stuck) would there even be any coolant in the heater matrix for it to leak?

cant decide if its worth actauly swaping the heater matrix considering what a bitch it is to change.

any input be great.

cheers shaun

Texx

Super Moderator
Check if the bung has dropped out of the floor pan, you should be able to see if it's there by looking underneath the car.

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably just the rubber bung under the carpet in the footwell. i had mine leak on the drivers side.

silicone up the grommet and dry it out as best you can with newspapers etcand then just keep an eye on it.
mine was fine since doing that so worth a try.

Jay

Admin
The matrix will always have water flowing through it whether the heating is on hot or cold so that'll not make any difference.

If the water gathering in the footwell has coolant in it it'll be from your cooling system (provided you aren't using pure water in there). Coolant will stain white paper so set a few sheets in the footwell to be sure.

Jay

Coolant will stain white paper so set a few sheets in the footwell to be sure.Jay

it will also stain ur carpet mine used to be white/red :haha:

and ud smell antifreeze while driving i did when mine leaked :(

also have u ever priced a new matrix :eek: i ended up getting a sh one re cored but i had bought a few before i got one with good pipes due to folk crushing them when removing the rubber hoses