Help! Heater only gets warm

hi guys and gals
as you all know its getting much colder out now and im freezing my royal naynays off.Due to the heat through the heater is as hot as it should be only luke warm through centre vents and slightly warmer to screen and floor (i know its partually due to centre vents being fresh air vents but its a substantail differance in temp. currently i have changed the thermostat recently for another problem so i know thats fine, i have also adjusted the heater box screw under the dash and a while ago flushed out the matrix, ( which i will be trying again tonight)
Now while im there does anyone else have this problem and or a solution to why ?!
p.s please dont reply with just because its colder, as it never really gets as hot as it should. Even if left running until cooling fan kicks in

Thanks everyone
Paul

Timmy

Member +
Is the engine temp coming up ok. Maybe a chance the new thermostat is no good.
Other than that the system could be full of crap in which case do a full coolant flush.
If you still have problems could be a heater matrix issue. It may not be comeing in to the air flow properly.

Jay

Admin
If you can get your hand to the heater matrix core and check how hot it is that might indicate where the problem lies. There's a little stripping of the dash required to do this though.

Jay

Levin-AE111

Member +
Ive also got the same problem, the heat on full is still only slightly warm. My mrs gets freezing and need to sort this out asap.

Wheres the screw under the dash??

chinaone

Member +
Looks like alot ppl having this issue now, lucky i just had my matrix sorted a month ago.
Well worth the time spent.

Ive also got the same problem, the heat on full is still only slightly warm. My mrs gets freezing and need to sort this out asap.

Wheres the screw under the dash??

If you look under the dash on passenger footwell it is very obvious you will see a small white clip almost looks broken, it had a long screw thread on it if you adjust the temp setting whilst under there you will see the part move make sure there is no slack on the setting you will see what i mean when you see it if you still have troubles pm me

Is the engine temp coming up ok. Maybe a chance the new thermostat is no good.
Other than that the system could be full of crap in which case do a full coolant flush.
If you still have problems could be a heater matrix issue. It may not be comeing in to the air flow properly.

Yes mate engine runs at normal temp i did notice a difference after making the adjustment screw on heater box, and flushed out matrix again, pipes on bulk head getting hot as they should..... i think heater matrix is req. Last night was freezing and i left it running with fan on for 15mins after my journey seems better now but ill keep an eye on it for the moment been an expensive xmas this year

Thanks Guys for your help :) Most appreciated

Dave.

Member +
Great info in here mate:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=313311

and here:

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=282557#post282557

My experience in this area...

Its more than likely a build up of gunge in the heater matrix, its very common. This then impedes the flow of hot coolant to the matrix, and in turn reduces the heat from it...

I'd put a good rad flush do it. Holts (over here in the UK, not sure what brands in Canada) do a 'Rad Flush' or 'Radiator Flush' which loosens up the grime and gunk.

If this fails, you'd need to find the two coolant pipes which go to the matrix (on the bulkhead) and flush them with a good powerful hose.... This should blast any gunk through it.

If this doesnt work (and It didn't on my old GT) I'd switch to something more drastic... I used a drain unblocker (the screw type you just feed in) to bite into the rubbish and pull it free, followed by a blast with the hose. Wasn't long till the water in and water out of the matrix was crystal clear - then my heaters worked incredibly well.

Dave

Hope some of that helps you mate, its a huge amount of info and this area has been really well covered in the past :)

Dave

Nippon

Member +
I had a similar problem a while back. I had no hot air comming through even though the matrix was fine and all the blowers worked. Turned out to be a solenoid that the temperature slider controls. I had someone from starletgtturbo.co.uk sort mine. Part cost 80 something quid and had be shipped from Belgium i think.

Dave.

Member +
Its a lot of suggestions at once, but chances are the solution is hiding in their somewhere :)

Glad to help

Dave

I had a similar problem a while back. I had no hot air comming through even though the matrix was fine and all the blowers worked. Turned out to be a solenoid that the temperature slider controls. I had someone from starletgtturbo.co.uk sort mine. Part cost 80 something quid and had be shipped from Belgium i think.

Thanks for the imput mate, but mine does ....at the moment i adjusted the part that the solenoid moves that attached onto the bottom of heater box :)

Not an uncommon thing then lol, thing is its weird i noticed last night normal driving its warm but you give it an arse rapping on boost it gets lovely and warm, needless to say need to be a motorway blast for 5-10mins, i have no idea how i suffered it last year.
I think ill end up having dash out again to have a look at this this time only took an hour :) do you know how much roughly a matrix costs Dave ? ?

Paul

Dave.

Member +
I think the matrix can be had fairly cheaply.

But, its the labour - whole dashboard out job :( I'd make that a last choice to be honest, try everything else first lol

Dave

its alright im a tech anyway.... so no probs with that :) just really wanted to know if there was something that fails on these that i was missing ....but what do i mean its jap nothing fails lol

Levin-AE111

Member +
Thanks too for the advice guys.
Hope uve managed to get yours sorted Paul (shooting_starlet) mate :)

Will take a look at mine soon as i get a chance, hoping its somthing to do with the switch but, that would just be lucky eh?? Knowing my luck the matrix is fecked or somthing lol

Aga

Member +
well,if everything is all right mechanically, there's a ghetto way of getting around this... take a piece of plywood or plastic sheet and cover half the radiator from the front so it's not getting airflow. in this cold, it's ok. my friend had a glanza radiator on his NA ep91, and on winter it was cooling the engine so much, the heater wasnt working. so we did this and it was spot on.

TeeGTT

Fresh Recruit
Did anyone ever find out what the problem ended up being here and how it got sorted? I have the same problem. 

Amd1691

Member +
Had a complete coolant flush, along wiv the heater matrix flush, aftr following the guide i found on tgtt, i.e, remove the hoses and run tap water thru the matrix( u cant imagine the amount of crap ull get out) + cardboard infront of radiator. Now all problems fixed, heater blows hot air and fuel consumption fell. :)