help needed on blown turbo etc

gurrturbo

Member +
hey people,

i had my turbo go on me the other day whilst on the motorway. obviously had the usuall huge amounts of smoke pouring out the back. now i have changed the turbo which i got from a friend of mine who has a starlet but cant seem to get it to boost. it worked when it was on his car as i helped take it off after some one went into the back of him. does anyone have an idea of why i have little/no boost. u can hear the turbo dump ever so slightly and spool up. but still only bosting 1 or 2 psi! help would be much appreciated! cheers

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
sounds like a boost leak imo,double check the lines on the acuator and the turbo,then the dumpvalve, then the intercooler pipes

Dan

gurrturbo

Member +
i have checked all the above i just can get my head round it! the wastegate had a tiny crack in it but it didnt affect my friends car i have been pondering on it for 5 days now. had my intercooler all cleaned and new clamps for it checked the actuator pipe. never felt so useless

dantheman

Member +
cant be hard to work out mate. not many things it can be, more than likely a boost leak.

did you put the gasket on the turbo where the metal pipe bolts to, that goes to the top mount?

GT-TD04

Supermoderator
Maybe you damage the acuator on the turbo when you removed it,whats different on your set up to his?

gurrturbo

Member +
yeh got that but i have a front mount. thats what i thought cant be alot of things to stop it spooling! thats why im so confused.

dantheman

Member +
its not ganna be a mystery problem mate :haha: theres only few things it can be, look harder for boost leaks!!!! check ALL boost pipes. :teach:

gurrturbo

Member +
actuator was fine on mine. i can hear a slight whistling when it does boost and a slight dump but obviously its only boostin max 2 psi

gurrturbo

Member +
if it ends up being just a leak im will be so pissed as i have check so many bloody times. it felt like i was towing a tank when i drove it, and i hate seeing it just sat on my drive. do u think there would be enought pressure lost for a small leak for it to only boost 2 psi?

dantheman

Member +
easy way to tell if its a boost leak is to pull the vac pipe off the actuator, and CAREFULLY boost it up, (i say careful as it will run unlimited boost)

see if you can get more than 2psi. if you still cant then you can bet ya boots its a boost leak :kiss: