help on brake fade??

asifatyard21

Member +
currently running about 215bhp on td04.
i have got 3g grooved discs on front standard discs on back and sard brake pads all round. dot 5.1 brake fluid from toyota.
after about 10mins of hard driving i get very bad brake fade, any ideas on why and how i can reduce this?
cheers

smythy75

Member +
currently running about 215bhp on td04.
i have got 3g grooved discs on front standard discs on back and sard brake pads all round. dot 5.1 brake fluid from toyota.
after about 10mins of hard driving i get very bad brake fade, any ideas on why and how i can reduce this?
cheers

is your brakes bleed properly, maybe try braided lines, but if the fluid is new it sounds like they need bleeding!

Damo gt!

Fresh Recruit
have you uprated your actual calipers? if not i would, the standard ones arent all that great at the best of times never minding trying too grind 215bhp to a stop! i would upgrade my brakes to 4 pot if i had td04, dont think you would have too much a problem then.

Gee

Member +
Apprantly the calipers are well up to the job, it is the standard discs that are too thin.

Damo gt!

Fresh Recruit
Fair enuff, i would still upgrade the calipers aswell tho, im running small power on my car at the mo and ive had my breaking fade to next to nothing after a while of hard driving so wouldnt hesitate to get better calipers if i had serious power. just my humble opinion! An i think i need new disks!! ;)

Adam_Glanza

Member +
tbh the brakes are over 10 years old, so a caliper rebuild at the most wouldnt hurt at all!

but yeah my caliper sliders where starting to get siezed

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
Right ive ran my car round the track with 3g discs and mintex pads and never suffered brake fade, but i was suffering brake fade on the road so before the trackday i changed my brake fluid and that solved the problem, even if it had dot5 brake fluid in it it requires replacing regulary as brake fluid (dot 5 i believe) absorbs moisture so doesn't last long, try replacing that before you go replacing expensive parts.

But if a caliper is seized then yeah you will suffer from the same.

~Nick

Nick@TD.co.uk

all brake fluid absorbs fluids/moisture.

yeah try change the fluid and see if it helps
Dot 5 has something added to it which i forget what it is, thats why most performance brake fluids are Dot 4 which is a much better choice, last's longer as well just has a slightly lower boiling point but should never reach that heat anyway.

Nick@TD.co.uk

how come you use dot 5 then, wat is the difference
I used dot 5 cause thats what i had available the day before the trackday, im going to Dot 4 fluid when i change mine very soon.

Can't remember what the difference was but there's something added to dot5 to make it a higher boiling point which means it absorbs more moisture and was told it lasts about a year only.

Gee

Member +
On Donnington my 3G brakes faded in to hell, my foot hit the floor! Was after a few laps thou and I was going for it :p

Adam_Glanza

Member +
3g discs and mintex pads tbh are ok as a bit of a upgrade for the street, but after a long blast they just dont cut it. mine faded like a bitch too

starbogt

Member +
braided lines will help and new fluid 5.1 need changing more regularly than 4.1 but up to you just has a higher boiling point. Brakes are nothing to do with horsepower of the car as the car still weighs the same ! and travels at the same speeds just gets there faster..

asifatyard21

Member +
yes i just mean that is good to have brakes that will be able to stop you, so obviosuly with more power would require better brakes. i think they are sard type A pads. they are really good and stop car very well from high speeds but once brake fade kicks in becomes dangerous.
suggestions appreciated