Help - Past the point of no return.......

muthaducka

Member +
Hi Guys

I've bought a set of celica GT4 calipers and I'm having difficulty fitting them to my ep82. The spacing is about 3/4mm out of where i need it to be. I cannot move the caliper backwards so need to move the disk forwards to get the right setup. If I move the disk forward, the stud bolts are not long enough for a secure fit (3 turns max).

I've got some new longer stud bolts and tried drilling out the existing stud bolts. What a nightmare. The metal is very hard and even with a new set of drills it's taken a couple of hours to get close to getting just one drilled out.

There must be an easier way. I've just tried to remove the plate with the 4 stud bolts attached but the nut turns with the axle so I can't get any leverage. I lowered one side of my car to the ground with the wheel attached to keep one side still and but it still turns (I'm sure that's not good).

Please help!!!!

29062008008.jpg

muthaducka

Member +
will they just come out if I give them a crack with a heavy hammer?
I'm worried about causing more damaged. I'll give it a quick do now but I'm open to other suggestions unless knocking the stud bolts out is typical practice?

Cheers Guys,

dac69er

Super Moderator
which calipers are they mate? also what discs are you using? i had to use vauxhall astra discs in the end to fit my twin pots

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
yep, had to do this last night, give 'em a good bash with a hammer, might be worth putting an old wheelnut on so you don't spread the stud out and also it'll give you a larger area to whack ;)

muthaducka

Member +
cheers for you quick response guys. So obvious when you look at it - drat! I've knocked out all the studs without any problems. Just for info, the discs at Corolla T-Sport disks, 277mm, x 25mm with single pot GT4 calipers.

I've ordered some braided lines and should be able to test these brakes soon. I'll put up some pics and updates.

Cheers,

Matt

weeJohn

Lifer
To get the large nut loosened you need to jam a crow bar , or something like it so that one end is hitting the ground, stopping it moving and the other end is jamming 2 of the studs so that the hub cannot turn. That will allow you to loosen the axle nut and remove the hub.

The studs usually are pushed in, they have a splined end to hold them in and stop them turning, if you are going to hammer them, make sure the plate they are in is held firmly in place in a vice, or you could damage the wheel bearing or the hub plate.

Most peolpe use the 255mm discs with twin pot calipers. That is because they are easier fitted, you only need a 3mm spacer behind the disc. What size of spacer do you need for those calipers? Also what diameter is the hole in the center of the discs you have and are the t sports not 5 stud as well? The disc will be a lot softer material and easier to modify to suit your needs.

muthaducka

Member +
Hi John, just noticed your reply.

The T- sport disks (02) are 4 stud. The calipers are single pot (upgrade from the early single and twin pots on the st165).

A hammer did bring the studs out after all that. I have managed to press the new studs in using a mixture of a g-clamp and another technique without using a hammer. A few people have mentioned that I should be careful not to damage the bearing so I've left the hammer alone.

I managed to get a reasonable deal on this setup otherwise I would have considered the twin pots although the single is rated as better than the twin by toyota until the twin was released on the st205 (better).

The discs are 277mm x 25mm so should cure my brake fade issues hopefully. Another funny thing happened on the weekend. A mate of mine with 4 pot outlaws fitted went to hi-spec because he needed new discs and without mentioning the s-sport discs, they determined that those discs were supplied with his outlaw kit. The disc must be a popular choice in Japan as well (where his outlaw and disc combo came from).

Cheers

Matt

weeJohn

Lifer
Good find with the T Sport discs there. You are going to need big spacers for them, at least 8mm looking at the height difference compared to the 165 discs.

The single pots were always the better set up, getting them to suit the Starlet set up is the hard bit!

Looking forward to seeing you finished mate, keep us posted please!

muthaducka

Member +
Hi John. I managed to fit the new studs using a creative brace and jack.
The splines on the new studs didn't match the old ones.

I've also managed to get the old brake lines of - a friend of mine just had a higher quality grip with lon leverage, that sorted it. It surpised me what difference a decent piece of kit can make.

The spacers are about 5/6mm and looks to give an even clearance either side of the disc. Now that I can fit the braided lines, I'm on my way to fitting and testing the brakes and will provide a full write up when finished.

Thanks for all your help guys.

GT_Ben

Member +
Good to see another member trying something different.

What you are using is exactly what i went for, big single pot GT calipers, corrolla T-Sport discs and brand new pads.

Heres a pic of mine behind 15's!

120608-5.jpg

I wont let on what sort of difference they made, il let you report back and give your views on them. Just make sure you bleed them up well, as due to the size of them and the size of the standard master cylinder, they can feel abit spongy if not bled up properly.

Ben :)

muthaducka

Member +
thanks for that Ben. Yours look pretty good painted and I will be interested to discuss the performance when tested and your feedback too!

A friend who helped me remove the corroded lines advised the importance of bleeding all the lines correctly and that ties in with what you have said. I've got braided lines for the rear as well so I'm going to fit those at the same time as I complete the work.

At the moment, I'm not too bothered about spongy, just effective

Monkfish

Member +
Removing the studs - As already said, a good belt with a hammer should loosen them. Applying some heat to the holder (The flat square piece they are sat in) might help them on their way.

Before you do that though, you need to get that centre nut off. There are two methods.

1) - As weeJohn stated, jam a crowbar in between two studs and on the floor to allow you to remove the large nut.

2) - Refit the caliper and disk, then ask a helper to firmly apply (ie, stand on) the brake pedal. This should allow you remove the nut.

Again, a small amount of heat may be needed if it is proving troublesome.

:)

59bhp

Member +
hey mate,

if you need any help with anything give me a shout, im only down the road and will be indertaking this brake conversion myself soon.