Help! Sera 4EFTE swap engine misfiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildchild

Member +
Hi.
I swapped in a 4efte to my sera. was running the 5EFE earlier. Im temporarily running the stock wire harness, stock alternator, stock distributor and stock ecu. the turbo outlet is not connected to the intake mani. its just open and i have connected the stock TB hose to the air cleaner box as a standard setup. im thinking of running this as a standard engine for now untill i get time and money for an emanage and a spare TD04 complete kit that i have lying around. the problem is that it tries to stall when i let go of the gas pedal. then comes back to normal idle but its kinda missing. engine is hesitant and doesnt pull at all. puffs alittle bit of black smoke on high rev only. i cannot climb a hill what so ever. drives normally but not smooth. engine misses and doesnt pull. i changed the MAP from my bro's sera which has the same MAP number but problem still persists. cleaned spark plugs as well. Any help pls?

Rev

Member +
Sera has n/a map you need a turbo map from a 4efte motor :
eg
12/1989 > 05/1994 - 89420-10020
05/1994 > 01/1996 - 89420-10050

mork

Member +
Did you change the ECU? Needs the Starlet ECU as it's set up for a turbo. As Rev says, Sera is NA.

Edit: I see you're running the stock ECU, I assume that means the Sera one. Won't work mate, must have the 4E ECU to run correctly.

Last edited:

wildchild

Member +
i have the 4efte ecu and the correct map for it but since i will be fitting my emanage + 440cc injectors and TD04 kit which i removed from my starlet i will be doing this mod later on as im very busy these days and cannot spend for wiring and dyno tuning as it costs $500.00 for the job here in SL.

The ecu that came with my 4efte engine is a 3socket one from an EP91. they dont fit the stock harness of sera ECU.

For now the turbo hot pipe is not connected to the intake manifold. so its not pushing in any air. instead the intake is directly connected to the air cleaner box as a N/A car. running stock ecu and stock MAP. its not boosting so there is no need for a turbo map or turbo ecu.

im guessing theres a problem with 4EFTE and FEFHE timing since stroke is different in both engines. 4EFTE ecu can adapt easily to 5EFHE but im not sure on the other way round.

I adjusted the distributor as well. the plugs are covered in soot and the exhaust is puffing out black smoke life wen the MAP is blown.

Status
Not open for further replies.