hi, few gt questions?

ryan-gt

Fresh Recruit
hi, have loved turbo starlets for years and finally time to get one, i wanted a glanza but can't get insurance for one but i can for a older shape gt turbo, any one know why this is, im 18 with soon to be off my 'r plates. now for the questions.
-what is the difference in the square light and the quad light ones.
-where should i look out for rust as i know they are quite old now.
-are they prone to using oil (smokey), bad gearboxes etc.
im a 2nd year toyota mecanic so maintenance should be no problems, just want a good standard one and make it the way i want it, may even go over to england for one. cheers

-cuffy-

Member +
some insurance companies just seem to be able to insure gt's easier than glanza v's dont know why this is tho haha. i was 20 when i first insured my gt an insurance wasnt that bad tbh. the square light is the mk 1 and mk 2 shape, they have slightly different grills and bumpers' then the mk 3 is the quad light. rust shouldnt be a problem on them, im yet to see one that is rusty, unlike a good old honda :) haha! crank seal and gearbox seal are a bit of a weakness, see alot seaping oil. but finding a standard one may be quite hard as they are all being tuned but good luck, might be better going to england. hope that helps a bit. sure other ppl will be along soon with more info

Gtjond

Member +
i was the same bro, always wanted a glanza ever scince i was about 14. finally saved up enough money to buy 1, but stupidly never checked the insurance, no 1 will touch me on a glanza till im 21.. so i brought a mint gt and never looked back,,, now i wouldnt have a glanza over a GT in a million years.

Jay

Admin
Welcome to the forum chap.

I penned a buyers guide a while back that's worth a read : Clicky here

As for the early questions :

-what is the difference in the square light and the quad light ones.

There was a facelift mid 1994 with quadlamps being introduced amongst a few other styling changes. Underneath it's pretty much the same car.

-where should i look out for rust as i know they are quite old now.

Road salt can attack the insides of the sills so expect a little surface rust in that area. Very rare for it to offer much hassle though, I'd imagine it'll be years before it kills any GT's. Otherwise they are fairly rust free on import.

-are they prone to using oil (smokey), bad gearboxes etc.

Should be covered in the guide. If you fancy a look round one in person just call in. I can show you what to look for on a car here.

Hope that helps,

Jay

ryan-gt

Fresh Recruit
Where are you from mate? Do you know of any about for sale, have Been looking gumtree but there is nothing nice, I'm not worryied about getting one with a few mods as long it is done right. England might be an option, also heard you could get a uk version? Is this true or are they all jap imports. Thanks

You dont get a uk version gt turbo or glanza but you can get the odd uk starlet with a gt or glanza kit. Jays the man to visit if your looking a look round one or two or three or four or maybe more lol. How much you looking to spend on one mate.

-cuffy-

Member +
Where are you from mate? Do you know of any about for sale, have Been looking gumtree but there is nothing nice, I'm not worryied about getting one with a few mods as long it is done right. England might be an option, also heard you could get a uk version? Is this true or are they all jap imports. Thanks

as said jay is the man to see about starbos! im from just outside belfast. i wouldnt be put of buying a modified one as long as its done ryt and with good quality parts no cheap ebay shite haha! an as said there are no uk versions of the gt or glanza but few conversions about.

ryan-gt

Fresh Recruit
Does this fella Jay sell gt's or just bits for them, I don't really want to go to England for one due to te cost of it, as for how much I want to spend I'm not quite sure, don't really mind buying a modded one as long as it's done properly with good parts, cheers

ryan-gt

Fresh Recruit
Gt's are a bit more tough looking, can't wait to ge one, and insurance isn't bad considering I'm only 18, and that's telling them it's a turbo, wouldent want to risk it. Il meby pm this fella and see of he knows of any, how much should I be looking to pay for a decent one.