Hi/Low Solenoid Bypass with PWR and Manu button

testzali

Fresh Recruit
I have performed the Hi/Low Solenoid Bypass in an auto Glanza V, and was just wondering how that affects the functions of PWR and Manu buttons.

Jay explained pretty well what these buttons are for here http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=582900&postcount=6 .

At least I have noticed that when Manu button is on and without the bypass, boost never kicks in. But with the bypass boost does kick in (and as early as expected as a result of the modification).

My question is how are the functions of these buttons affected after the bypass?

After the modification, what is changed when running in PWR, Normal and Manu modes compared to before the modification?

I know I'll test this by recording my millage and fueling, but theoretically how does the bypass affect fuel efficiency?

Forgive me if I am asking mediocre questions, i am all very new to cars, and so even more of a novice in glanzas.

Jay

Admin
In theory the ECT-S (Electronically Controlled Transmission System) handles the gears. The buttons select the mode and the ECU changes gear when it sees the RPM and load reach a certain level. There is an element of fuzzy logic at work but in general the function is 'set'.

By bypassing the solenoid you are simply throwing additional power into the mix so the system will be operating outside factory parameters. The consequences of this will depend vastly on the car and driver in question. I know my auto GT handles extra boost well and I would suspect a V would be similar in PWR mode. I have noticed in the normal and MANU modes gear changing can be a little 'off' but for the most part everything seems to function as normal (but with more urgency).

Unfortunately I have no firsthand experience of the hi/lo bypass on an auto V as they are not common here. I would assume they would behave like a GT as the manual V's do with a bypass.

For the record my auto spends 99.9% of it's time in PWR and high boost. ;)

testzali

Fresh Recruit
Thanks Jay.

Your explanation is some what consistent with what I observed today as I was using the bypass for the first day.

I was a little worried about completely loosing fuel economy, but now I am less worried for the following reason (I hope I am not fooling myself) :

Turbo now always kicks in when the rev hit about 2500 - 3000. So feels like on one can have fuel economy by steping on it gently and not go beyond 2500 rev. And when one needs the power just steps on it to revs beyond 2500 and turbo kicks in right away.

This way MANU mode is kind a "improved". Without the bypass, turbo never kicks in when in MANU mode. But now u can always call on turbo's assistance by steping on it to revs beyond 2500. That way u have fuel economy if u want, and the power right there when u need it. And I can tell, even in MANU mode, the power was just hard to be matched by any other fellow motorist that tried it. :)

In PWR and Normal mode feels like the gear changing behavior was similar to before the bypass, and the difference was that you can call on turbo power anytime by just stepping to revs beyonds 2500 instead of waiting for it to get to 3rd gear and suddenly jump. Feels smooth and better.

All in all, it doesnt look like I'll be changing it back anytime soon ... well, being in this country, it looks like that is the only mode I'll be able to do anyway :)