high level brakelight as rear foglight?

dac69er

Super Moderator
is this legal in the uk?

removed the frankly dangerous foglight wiring out of my ep85 and want to rewire it properly. just thought it would be cool to use the existing high level brakelight especially as ill be fitting a spoiler with a brakelight anyway.

the current brake light i want to use is at the bottom of the rear screen:

thanks ;)

TurboDave

Member +
It will probably do for an MOT but it wouldnt pass an SVA test it as it can only be a certain height from the floor.

nanglebadger

Member +
my mechanic here in NI asked at the MOT centre about doing this and he was told it would fail as it was above the brake lights???????

whether this is true or not i can't confirm, it could well be nonsense. best bet is to ask at an MOT centre. they MAY say it'd be so high as to annoy the person behind, but then again, a jeep sits higher than a car, so i dont know if that argument is legit.

Phil.

dac69er

Super Moderator
ill ask the MOT tester i use tomorrow and see what he says. its a 21w bulb and its red so im halfway there. as it will never be used other than for the MOT its not a major worry.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I saw this on the notorius cats members garage, have a look if you haven't seen already.

will have a look mate.

i did see it mentioned a couple of times. just wanted to make sure it was actually legal before i went and did it ;)

dac69er

Super Moderator
just checked cats garage thread and his isnt high level. its just in one of the reverse lamps like one of my GTs.

i want it in the high level light that is in the bottom of the rear screen.

TURBO2010

Member +
hey mate yes i ad a breaklight on my spoiler on my last car and it failed the nct cause it wasnt wired up! the tester said either wire it up or take off the spoiler as if u have a brakelight it has to work!! im no gud with electrects but could ya wire it up to both?? so when u press the break it comes on and then when u put on the foglight button it stays on the whole time??:)

dac69er

Super Moderator
i could do, but will be like amsterdam with the amount of red lights ill have going on at the back of my car when i brake ;)

if its not legal ill just remove the current high level light and run those wires to the spoiler light, then i will just put the foglight into the rear cluster :)