Hiya! New Car Decisions...

Steve

Fresh Recruit
Hi everyone,

Just thought I would come on for a look, and have to say, I've seen some lovely examples on here!

I currently drive a mk5 Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec, in November, I will be 20 and have earned 1 YNCB - but driving for two years. I plan to get a new car then and will probably have about £2500. I have a few cars on my short list just now, including a Zetec S, Starlet GT Turbo and 106 GTI/VTS.

To be honest I don't know much about the Starlets, there seems to be a Starlet, Starlet GT and Glanza? What exactly are the differences?

so.. Hello!

GT_Neil

Member +
Starlet GT's and Glanza's are imports, and come with the 4efte engine, which is a 1.3 turbo. Rather than a 1.3 NA

The Glanza is the newer shape starlet, but with a bodykit - really hard to get insured of these though. GT is easier to get insured on.

GT being older you don't get certain things like abs and pass airbags, not that i think the drivers airbag would work lol.

Lots more differences really but thats some of the main stuff.

Out of those choices i'd be choosing a GT with any hesitation.

Steve

Fresh Recruit
not much differnce really mostly down to differnt styling and personal choice
there a guide with some info
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/showthread.php?t=29

Thanks, Kieran, I'll have a read.

Starlet GT's and Glanza's are imports, and come with the 4efte engine, which is a 1.3 turbo. Rather than a 1.3 NA

The Glanza is the newer shape starlet, but with a bodykit - really hard to get insured of these though. GT is easier to get insured on.

GT being older you don't get certain things like abs and pass airbags, not that i think the drivers airbag would work lol.

Lots more differences really but thats some of the main stuff.

Out of those choices i'd be choosing a GT with any hesitation.

Thanks for clearing that up, Neil! So a Glanza has the same engine as the Starlet GT turbo? Just different body kit and interior?

Do you happen to know the bhp and 0-60 time? Not that it matters all that much... :p

GT_Neil

Member +
Thanks, Kieran, I'll have a read.

Thanks for clearing that up, Neil! So a Glanza has the same engine as the Starlet GT turbo? Just different body kit and interior?

Do you happen to know the bhp and 0-60 time? Not that it matters all that much... :p

yea they both have the same engine. Slightly different engine bay layout however.

135 bhp i believe is the figure.

0-60 will be a tad quicker on the GT in standard for as its that tiny bit lighter. I doubt there a lot in it.

i think i read the 0-60 6.9 but i don't believe that lol, once you start modding a bit though it will become very quick 0-60 !!!:rockon:

Steve

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the info. Do you think with my budget, I would be better going for a GT rather than a Glanza? I've done a few quotes for a GT and they're very reasonable! I can't seem to find Glanza on the list of cars though... :confused:

GT_Neil

Member +
you wont find it, you have to ring up for a quote on a Glanza, its a long hard process lol.

If you look in the insurance/legal section you will find the companys that will insure it, and quotes people have got.

Probably better going for a good condition GT, you may get a cheap glanza, but would be very lucky and there might be a reason its so cheap!

Steve

Fresh Recruit
you wont find it, you have to ring up for a quote on a Glanza, its a long hard process lol.

If you look in the insurance/legal section you will find the companys that will insure it, and quotes people have got.

Probably better going for a good condition GT, you may get a cheap glanza, but would be very lucky and there might be a reason its so cheap!

Yea you're probably right, don't like the sound of the insurance process either, sounds... expensive ;)

GT is on top of the car list at the moment, I'm guessing that being Jap, they're quite reliable?

GT_Neil

Member +
very reliable if treated right, once you start modding make sure you do it right.

both my glanza and gt were super reliable. Clutch went on the glanza though, but was a cheap fix for a much better clutch.

My 200hp GT was fine and still going strong now, with even more boost lol.

*starlet_babe*

Member +
The second glanza you looked at is a straight from japan job, I would be very v
wary(sp!) and make sure you check who you are buying it from, its sometimes worth sticking a post on here to see if anyone has dealt with them before, (just as i've not heard of him or his company before, and its says contact by email) If in any doubt about what you have stick up a post and we will all try and help.

Have a good nosy in our cars for sale section to, there are some nice examples in there to, and also some very good traders if you want something specific.

and I know its sounds a silly thing to say but have a good search through the forum as I will expect many of the questions you will have will have already been asked(to save repeats, and silly replies!) failing that if it isn't ask away.

Hope you find yourself a lovely gt :)

And welcome to tgtt :) Enjoy your stay. Hope to see at some events in the future.

Sammie xx

Last edited:

*starlet_babe*

Member +
very reliable if treated right, once you start modding make sure you do it right.

I would agree with Neil many of the issues faced by members are when they start modding there gt/glanza.

Reliability is great, I have a near standard gt, which I've had for nearly two years and the worse i've had to is 2 tyres, an exhaust and a battery(just cause the one it comes with japan is usually rubbish after they been standing)

:gt-smilie:

Steve

Fresh Recruit
The second glanza you looked at is a straight from japan job, I would be very vary and make sure you check who you are buying it from, its sometimes worth sticking a post on here to see if anyone has dealt with them before, (just as i've not heard of him or his company before, and its says contact by email) If in any doubt about what you have stick up a post and we will all try and help.

Have a good nosy in our cars for sale section to, there are some nice examples in there to, and also some very good traders if you want something specific.

and I know its sounds a silly thing to say but have a good search through the forum as I will expect many of the questions you will have will have already been asked(to save repeats, and silly replies!) failing that if it isn't ask away.

Hope you find yourself a lovely gt :)

And welcome to tgtt :) Enjoy your stay. Hope to see at some events in the future.

Sammie xx

Thanks for the warm welcome, Sammie! :D

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wait until November until I can actually buy a new car, then I will have 1 YNCB and won't be paying silly amounts for insurance! At least that gives me time to read up and learn about the cars.

I tried to use the search function, but it seems to be acting strangely! Apparently I have to search for something with a minimum of 4 words, and even when using more than 4, I kept getting the same error. I was trying to find out what the average MPG is from a GT.