HKS FCD Settings 1-12???

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Hi guys,

Can someone explain how the numerical settings work on the HKS FCD. The way I am interpreting it is that setting 12 is 'normal' and therefore closest to the true pressure signal from the car and 1 being the closest to 'cut' being where the FCD is making the biggest adjustment to the true pressure signal.

If the above is correct does 12 mean it is identical to standard i.e the same as if no FCD was fitted or just as close as it could be but is still doing something? To adjust it is it simply a case of using a small screwdriver to turn the little inner washer thing to the coresponding number on the dial?

I am aware of the all the recent discussions on here about FCD's and really want to stick to the above topic. Need the experience of people who are using one or have good knowledge of them. I know there are loads of really knowledgeable people on here and I thank them in advance!

Mike

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Done a lot of research on this tonight and 8 seems to be what most people mention.

Can anyone confirm that it is the little metal washer that indicates the setting as the whole 'dial' doesnt move as I expected it to?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
mike, you've got it bang on, 12 is no effect, 1 is full on cut. the lower the dial, the more affected the signal that the ECU is recieving.

8 is the reccommended setting, although mine seemed to prefer level 7.

you adjust it so the small arrow is pointing to the relevant number on the dial, like turning up the sound on a hifi ;)

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
mike, you've got it bang on, 12 is no effect, 1 is full on cut. the lower the dial, the more affected the signal that the ECU is recieving.

8 is the reccommended setting, although mine seemed to prefer level 7.

you adjust it so the small arrow is pointing to the relevant number on the dial, like turning up the sound on a hifi ;)

Cheers mate. Regarding the adjustment though - there is an arrow printed on the unit at the 6'o'clock position which points to 12. Now I thought the dial of numbers would spin round to correspond with where this printed arrow points to but it seems only the little washer turns with the flat head screw driver centre piece. This does have a little notch on it which points to the numbers. Is this definately correct or is mine faulty?

Sorry for the paranoia!!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well put it this way, ur altering current on a complex resistor (well thats what an hks fcd is anyways) .. 8 is a max of 3.98 volts so its gud till around 16psi over that it will cut, on some cars we use the setting 7, as for some odd reason it will cut at 1bar with setting 8... could be wireing or actual resistence from the map sensor.. meh..

but yeah personally 1st try 8, if that fails do 7.. no need to lean the car out more than she would b already :)

kon

sx_turbo

Lifer
well put it this way, ur altering current on a complex resistor (well thats what an hks fcd is anyways) .. 8 is a max of 3.98 volts so its gud till around 16psi over that it will cut, on some cars we use the setting 7, as for some odd reason it will cut at 1bar with setting 8... could be wireing or actual resistence from the map sensor.. meh..

but yeah personally 1st try 8, if that fails do 7.. no need to lean the car out more than she would b already :)

kon

agreed, unless u have a safc version 1, it will need to go on setting 6, as it will still hit cut @1bar, @3k rpm, for some reason, i dont know why this was.

and you are correct fella, setting 12 is virtually OFF.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
well its simple dude, it will cut anyways as basically the safc & safc 2 are both pretty much the same as an hks fcd, the only difference is they dont cut as much as the fcd & they can be altered in points, in fact if u have big enough injectors u can actually avoid fuel cut with an safc2 coz the -% will be so low that it keeps everything under fuel cut..

sx_turbo

Lifer
well its simple dude, it will cut anyways as basically the safc & safc 2 are both pretty much the same as an hks fcd, the only difference is they dont cut as much as the fcd & they can be altered in points, in fact if u have big enough injectors u can actually avoid fuel cut with an safc2 coz the -% will be so low that it keeps everything under fuel cut..

sorry, Kon i meant if people are going to run a safc 1, with a hks fcd, the two items conflict @3.5k, when on setting 7.

it may well just be my peice of shit car at the time. i cant comment on the safc 2 or neo though.