How the heck...

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
Do you change the water pump, or more to the point is it possible to do without lifting the engine / dropping the engine mount which is conveniently obscuring access to JUST ONE of the bolts?

Jay

Admin
I think Daniel (username Damage) said that from below is easier than the route I took from above. I'd recommend trying that first matey.

dan_ep82

Member +
whatever way u do it u need to remove the engine mount and the cast mounting on the engine! changed mine a few weeks ago its easy once there out of the way!

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
Cheers Jay, Dan,

I'll have another search... But I couldn't feel the head of the bolt from below, even after i had the pulley off, as the engine mount is square in the way, and the only thing i can feel is one of the bolts that hold the mount to the block.

I tried bending a ten mm ring spanner to go at it from the top, but still couldnt get any rotation on it. I should have applied heat when bending it, cos all i ended up doing in the end is snapping the open-end end off :homer:.

dan_ep82

Member +
u will never get it off without removing the mount i think there is 3 bolts holding it onto the block and if i remember there behind the cambelt cover

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
Would removing some material from the inner face of the mount (just the curved bit) adversely affect the strength of the mount too much?

Just it would make the job a whole lot easier in the future...

NDR008

Fresh Recruit
Oooooooh unlucky starlet boys :p hehe just enjoying the free room and different engine mounts on my rolla, that allowed me to do this in place. :)

NDR008

Fresh Recruit
Would removing some material from the inner face of the mount (just the curved bit) adversely affect the strength of the mount too much?

Just it would make the job a whole lot easier in the future...

Is it worth doing when you might just drop the engine or lift it up to do?
I would rather not reduce any strength anywhere. If the mount is curved it is likely for a reason, curves are more costly to manufacture as opposed to flat surfaces, so if Toyota went through the hassle of making a curved surface, likely it is for a reason. ;)

Johnny_C

Lifer
i done it by taking the altenator off and the head to block bracket.biggest pain in the hole of a job i have ever done.the car was on a lift too!
and i done it without taking off the engine mount.

Last edited:

dan_ep82

Member +
i done the same as johnny, altenator off and the cast bracket, i would't recommend removing any material from the mount but in all honestly a little bit is't really going to make much difference to strength! if u just support ur engine remove the ally mount and the cam cover u should be able to get the cast bracket off.

dan

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
Oooooooh unlucky starlet boys :p hehe just enjoying the free room and different engine mounts on my rolla, that allowed me to do this in place. :)

:p ehhh shaddup :p

I'm lazy and dislike having to unbolt an engine mount in the very cramped engine bay! I mean surely toyota with all that was at their disposal could have designed the mount slightly differently to avoid having to remove the mount in the first place.
How often does an engine fail before the waterpump?

Oh wells I'm going to have to remove the mount anyway to do the pump, but I swear what a pain in the ass...

Jay

Admin
Pretty sure I didn't remove the mount to do this BUT i had the inlet manifold off which is much more of a bitch to reinstall than an engine mount could ever be..

Johnny_C

Lifer
i done the same as johnny, altenator off and the cast bracket, i would't recommend removing any material from the mount but in all honestly a little bit is't really going to make much difference to strength! if u just support ur engine remove the ally mount and the cam cover u should be able to get the cast bracket off.

dan
my poor knuckles lad,my poor fucking knuckels!!!

Stryfe_NZL

Member +
Yep, my hands are proof of the fact there is no room in there at all, and everything that has a blunt edge suddenly seems to become sharp, and I swear I've gotten my hand jammed inbetween the alternator and intake manifold / everything else, and was lucky that my hands were covered in oil at the time otherwise I'd be really attached to my car...

I might nip down to my local pick-a-part and rip a mount off a dead starlet and grind that down rather than butchering the one thats on there now (in theory I should grab the entire engine and put it in my shed too). That way if it does decide to let go I have a spare...

Monkfish

Member +
Use a trolley jack to support the engine and remove the mount. It'll take 10-15 mins tops. Is it really worth butchering a critical mount for the sake of a few more bolts and a few more minutes? Do you have any idea what'll happen to the car if the engine drops whilst moving?

It happened to my old C2 GT (The bolts were made of chocolate). The engine dropped that far it locked up the driveshaft (Probably inner CV joint) and the car wouldn't move. Luckily, I had just pulled out of a junction and was doing 10mph. Had I been going faster, I'd have been in a world of shit.

Last edited: