How To - Adjusting the alternator & powersteering belts *

Dane_Bristol

Member +
To adjust the alternator to need to loosen this bolt, once loosened you can it can slide up an down the bracket to tighten and loosen it.

IMG_1752-1.jpg

IMG_1757-1.jpg

Once the bolt is loosened you need to locate the other one directly below it around this area very near the bottom pulley.

IMG_1759-1.jpg

When you have loosened the bottom one i wouldn't advise undoing it alot just enough so that it will move once you tension it at the top.

I just used a long wooden stick but you can use a metal bar or anything that is long enough to get down to the alternator. Stick the bar down towards the alternator.

IMG_2511-1.jpg

Put some tension on the alternator and feel the belt it should not be super super tensioned but enough so that it is reasonably tight push down on the belt to feel how tight it is. Once you have the desired tension simply try and do up the bolt with a long ring spanner if you have one. Once done tighten up the bottom one and jobs a good one !.

To do the Power steering belt:

You need to undo the following bolts.

IMG_2497-2.jpg

Number 1: You might need to remove the washer bottle etc.

Number 2: You might need to access this one from under the car so jacking it up will help. Its on the other side of the pulley in this pic.

Number 3: Is the tension point holds it in position. More or less the same principal applies as with the alternator with regards to tensioning.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator: