** How to 'Run' a 4efte Engine **

FrancyGlanza

Member +
** How to 'Run in ' a 4efte Engine ??? **

I'm currently replacing pistons rings, pistons and head gasket on my engine

After this is done will i have to run in my engine in and if so how
I Know to take it really easy and to change oil frequently over the 1st thousand and so

When would the oil need changing and what oil to use for running it in ??

Any info appreciate

Last edited:

conorIRLgt

Member +
Was going to say ask who was building it .. Seen pics of your car on Toc looks mint best of luck with it ...can't help ya much more with this tho

dont pussy drive tt around, drive it hard but not mad revs for the first few miles the rings seal in the first hundred miles or less! lots of opinions on this! a mate broke in a pulsar engine the hard way also and no problem, his engine builder told him to do a few pulls in 3rd and 4th gear to load the engine starting at 2k rpm up to 5.5 or 6 k rpm! did you hone the block etc?

Mikey4410

Member +
Drive it as u normally would,simple.not like a bell and not like a pussy.lol .itll be fine.one thing i would say is dont let it idle-keep revs over 1500 for at least 20 mins ish on the first initial drive out and about.

FrancyGlanza

Member +
dont pussy drive tt around, drive it hard but not mad revs for the first few miles the rings seal in the first hundred miles or less! lots of opinions on this! a mate broke in a pulsar engine the hard way also and no problem, his engine builder told him to do a few pulls in 3rd and 4th gear to load the engine starting at 2k rpm up to 5.5 or 6 k rpm! did you hone the block etc?

as said on Toc just basicly drive normal but not mad hard ?

do i have to keep it off boost for a while or anything ?
and just give er a bit a shoe now and again
no, im getting a lad to do it for me, not sure bout the honing now

FrancyGlanza

Member +
Drive it as u normally would,simple.not like a bell and not like a pussy.lol .itll be fine.one thing i would say is dont let it idle-keep revs over 1500 for at least 20 mins ish on the first initial drive out and about.

as for me first start up or as im driven ?

i think its ok to let it idle around 1200rpm and let it warm up and bleed the cooling system, also vary your driving etc, dont drive up a motorway for the first few miles

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
On my R5GTT, as soon as I rebuilt it I flogged the arse off it! at 1000k retorqd the bolts n was fine ever after!

so if u can do it to a r5 engine our toyota engines should withstand a tiny bit of harshness.

Skalabala

Member +
Use cheap mineral oil.
Drive it for about 5min normal at around 3k rpm boosting it a little. Make sure AFR is 100%
If AFR is not right it is really bad because when it is on the lean side the tight components can damage because of the heat generated of lean AFR.
Stop and check for leaks and fluid levels.
Now go drive it hard and keep eyes on temps and oil pressure.
Drain oil after about 50km. You can then put in your good oil :)

bongskag

Member +
use millers running in oil, its some good stuff.. ;)
also change the oil filter every time you do the oil, thats a must.
change oil as often as possible during running in. 100 miles, 200, 400, 800. etc. as much as you can to get rid of the bedding in materials .