How to tension the alternator belt...

Rik

Member +
Anyone got useful information on how to tension the belt? It's squeeling when starting up so would really like to get rid of the noise! What's the proper/best way to tension it? I just pulled the alterntor down before whilst my mate tightened it all back up...but I guess it aint tight enough!

sx_turbo

Lifer
if its any consolatio mine does he same thing on start up for about 5seconds.

you need to be careful to not over tighten the either of the fanbelts as this can be detrimental to other parts of the auxilarry drive system

DWB

Member +
if u go 2 tight u could pull the bearing out a the alternator

Last edited:

thetruth

Fresh Recruit
The way I tightened the belt is I have a friend push the alternator back while I tighten it to the bracket. I've been told that the belt should have about 1/4'' of play.

Somhairle

Lifer
use a lever, like a tyre lever or a crow bar to push the alternator back from above.

the belt should twist side to side but be taught!

It's hard to say really, as knowing the tnesion comes with experience....

dac69er

Super Moderator
agreed with that. you just get the 'feel' for it after a while.

im suprised it doesnt have an adjuster like the powersteering pump has!?

Rik

Member +
It's not too tight at the min as I can still twist it side to side, I guess I will just have to keep trying till the noise stops! Will try prying it back :)

supernova

Member +
1.jpg

Loosen that bolt there and then get a bar and pry the alternator towards the back of the car from underneath and while you have it held like that, get someone on top to tighten the bolt while you have it held back. the belt should just about be not be able to twist more than 90 degrees for good tension.

steo800

Member +
heres how i do it-

-loosen top nut as above
-loosen bolt/nut underneath
-retighten top nut a small bit, but not fully
-get some wood and place on alternator from above, at a slight angle to push alternator the correct way to tension belt
-hit wood with hammer untill belt is tension where you want it
-tighten up top nut
-tighten underneath nut/bolt

steo800

Member +
thats how ive always done mine,i dont ever remember loosening the top one and the alternator moving, had to loosen the bottom one aswell