I may never buy on-site again....

Guye

Lifer
I recently purchased some items to "refresh" my 1992 GT while it's at the body shop (headlights, glow badge etc.) and keep it in good condition. Today I went to collect my ep styling grill and I learned that the rules of the post office have changed. Apparently if the item is worth more than $200.00bds shipped (approximately $65.00gbp) you will now need to get a customs broker to complete and submit an entry with fees ranging from $50bds upwards. This is an extra expense I never had to deal with before. Also before, if the item was used/second hand, the clerk would use their discretion with charging duties. Now once it's anyhting to do with car parts it's an automatic 30% duty + 5% environment tax + 15% VAT + $1.00 stamp duty. I ended up paying more than 50% of the original purchase price of the grill. Luckily I got the other items before this rule took effect so duties were minimal.

I like to do things above board, so declaring the correct value on future purchases I was planning to make (some panels from Jay, rear discs from TM etc.) or on any impulse buys would make the final cost too high to be of any savings over getting a similar item locally. The only exception will be service items not available here then I'll have no choice but to bite the bullet. I'm just upset that the last means of getting reasonably priced/high quality bits for my beloved GT is now gone. Hard to except when you plan to keep a car forever. Rant over.

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
Not unless I purposely submit a fraudulent invoice under valuing the items I purchased. I have never done that before...I don't want to risk starting.

:( I understand mate its good to have everything done right but that could cost you a lot. What if a friend bought something for you abroad, for your birthday for example, and sent it to you?

Guye

Lifer
:( I understand mate its good to have everything done right but that could cost you a lot. What if a friend bought something for you abroad, for your birthday for example, and sent it to you?
The only way the duty free concessions for locals would kick in is if the item was brought in by me through the airport. If it's a gift sent, they have a sheet which allows them to estimate the value of various items and goods. They will do their calculations based on that. It's happened already apparently...and I watched it happen today.

gv1.3

Admin
order lots of stuff and send it to me, then book me a ticket to Barbados and I will carry it in for you :)

Guye

Lifer
order lots of stuff and send it to me, then book me a ticket to Barbados and I will carry it in for you :)
Funnily enough I was thinking I may need to find a member who was making the trip and had extra space in their bags...oh well, hopefully the rules are relaxed sometime in the future. I will take advantage then.

Guye

Lifer
why dont pick it up at customs before the post office gets there hands on it
Here customs officers are stationed at the post office or the clerks are trained how to do duty assessments. It's all one and the same. When a package arrives without an invoice they stamp "suspected dutiable" on the collection notice. Unless it's a letter there's no escaping.

they cant charge you dutie if you buy through a company(your job) surely. if they can it wont last long, id give it a month and it will fall through.

Guye

Lifer
they cant charge you dutie if you buy through a company(your job) surely. if they can it wont last long, id give it a month and it will fall through.
LOL! I stopped buying under my company's name years ago since commercial items draws even higher duties than if the item is for private use :D thanks for trying to be helpful. Trust me, beside gv1.3's Barbados trip idea there are no other loopholes besides a fraudulent invoiced value. Even if I bring it in myself when returning from a trip I only have a $500.00bds limit per year. Customs aren't to keen on searching tourist's bags once they get past the safeguards for drugs...yet it can still happen.

Guye

Lifer
why dont you arrrange a courior service??
All couriers operating in Barbados have customs officers on site. If you want to be charged duties for an item with 100% certainty, then send it via Fedex, UPS, EMS or DHL. They will do a duties assessment based on the invoice or call you in to open the package in the presence of a customs officers if it is suspected dutiable and there is no invoice. Up to recently discretion would be used taking into consideration the nature of the item, it's intended purpose etc. From what I saw today it was simply rules and regulation and no one was spared. So, as said before, the only way to lower your duties is to fraudulently declare/invoice them at a lower value. If customs suspect you have done this they will make you bring in a certified copy of the wire transfer or bank draft. If the figures don't match your goods can be seized and you may be in trouble as well. In that situation pray you get off with paying higher duties only. I guess can add another local saying to gv1.3's other thread...
Too honest, too poor = Me.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that mate:(

Lets say for example that I sent you the wrong grill by my own mistake. I go out next week and send you another, would you be charged the same again or would a "Replacement Item" sticker on the product be exempt from those customs charges?

Guye

Lifer
Sorry to hear about that mate:(

Lets say for example that I sent you the wrong grill by my own mistake. I go out next week and send you another, would you be charged the same again or would a "Replacement Item" sticker on the product be exempt from those customs charges?
In a case like that I will have to fill out the correct forms proving I paid duties on the first one, am sending it back for repair or replacement and should not be paying another set of duties on the replacement. If you don't do the correct paper work you will be charged another set of duties even with the sticker.

Jay

Admin
That sucks big time buddy, shame they are being so strict on it.

Must be some way of sneaking parts in though. I know a few Irish fellas take their cars over for the rally each year. Someone is bound to have some spare bootspace..

If I'm ever on one of those cruise ship holidays I'll bring you some sunshine. :cool: