Im convinced something is not right..

Toymota

Member +
I wasnt sure where to post this so thought the best place would be here. Basically, you know the feeling you get when your engine mounts are fooked and the engine feels like its rocking when you slow down etc? Well sometimes my car feels like its doing that when im slowing down but have brand new TRD engine mounts fitted. Does anyone have any ideas??

sx_turbo

Lifer
i had the same thing on my car toymota.

i never found out what it was though as the car got written off 2 weeks later.

make sure all the bolts for the engine mounts are nice and tight though. it might also be gearbox related but that part is just speculation.

Toymota

Member +
well i got mike to give the engine a good wobbling the other day and i can safely say there is no movement there at all. i have been wondering if its gearbox related myself!

sx_turbo

Lifer
i had cooch do the same thing on my car, and came up with the same conclusion.

havnt you got an uprated clutch in yours though?

sx_turbo

Lifer
well they normally whine, really loud and they become hard to get into gear and they also jump out of gears.

i've heard that the ogura clutches tend to make noises anyway though.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
mine does this too and ive got hte same clutch..

i was thinking it might just be down to the lightweight flywheel?

its generally with heavy flywheels they keep spinning on because off there extra weight its alot smoother, thats how dual mass flywheels work i believe.

im not 100% sure on it but im pretty sure thats why.

if you think about the revs dropping off pretty quickly because of the flywheel thats why it would happen

Toymota

Member +
yeah the clutch is noisey!

but there is no odd noise coming from the gearbox and it does not jump out of gear. the only other thing i have noticed is sometimes, if im stuck in traffic and dont get out of 1st gear and i move forward and then put the clutch back in, it can be a bit harsh. i cant really think how to describe it.....

Toymota

Member +
mine does this too and ive got hte same clutch..

i was thinking it might just be down to the lightweight flywheel?

its generally with heavy flywheels they keep spinning on because off there extra weight its alot smoother, thats how dual mass flywheels work i believe.

im not 100% sure on it but im pretty sure thats why.

if you think about the revs dropping off pretty quickly because of the flywheel thats why it would happen

yeah i suppose it could be the flywheel? maybe its just worse now cos the clutch is more bedded in?

Damage

Member +
I have TRD Mountings and an ORC Clutch on mine and dont have this problem Toymota. Just wanted to let you know...

Get in the car and lift up the handbrake and try give the car a judder (life of the clutch slightly fast - not to slow but but to fast) but keep it in the same place and get someone to look at the engine while doing this to see if there is lots of engine movement.

sx_turbo

Lifer
mine used to make a knocking noise as i let off the throttle.

and what ur describing about the first gear thing, that also happens with the standard clutch, u need to depress the clutch before letting off the throttle.

Adam_Glanza

Member +
hmm wat damage says kinda throws that idea into confusion then!

i guess it goes back to a worn mount?

toymota i also get the roughness going into gears at times when its hot

59bhp

Member +

and what ur describing about the first gear thing, that also happens with the standard clutch, u need to depress the clutch before letting off the throttle.

mine does this, but i dropped a bolt into the inner wing so i thought it might just be that knocking about. It sounds like metal is flexing then it just pops back into palce when the car jerks.

Havent the foggiest what it is though.

Monkfish

Member +
My car is incredibly jerky in traffic. I've got the TRD mounts but a stock clutch as far as I'm aware. She judders quite a bit sometimes too, so I'm wondering whether my clutch is on the way out. Also, the gearchange feels 'notchy' on times and the gearbox is making a whining noise. Not too loud, but it's noticable, so I have a feeling it'll need new selectors and bearings soon. :(

I also get eratic idling sometimes when moving in traffic, so for the moment I'm putting it down to that until I change the dizzy cap and rotor arm.

Last edited:

Toymota

Member +

yeah i have noticed its a lot smoother if i give it a rev before putting the clutch in or if i keep the revs on a little bit

Monkfish

Member +
surely it cant be a worn out mount already?

Unlikely, but it's still possible.

Get the car up on ramps/stands and check the rear gearbox mount. That's the most likely to be at fault. The engine tends to pivot around the other 2 mounts as they are near enough in-line, so if the rear mount is on it's way out, it'll start to move again. Double check the bolts too. I had 1 snap on me not long after first getting the car because the cowboys the car had been taken to before only put 2 of the 3 bolts back in. Twats.

Don't forget, rocking the engine with your hands won't move it much. A TD04'd 4E will produce a shitload more torque than a pair of hands could. Try what was mentioned above about putting the handbrake on and taking the clutch to the biting point and get someone to see if the engine is moving.

Toymota

Member +
cheers monkfish, what your saying makes a lot of sense actually. i forgot about the mount at the back of the gearbox. it wouldnt suprise me if that was knackered! where would i get one if thats the case??
also, mike fitted the engine mounts for me so i know they have been done properly lol. although dunno what im goin to do about gettin the car jacked up now as we've split up and i cant do it haha