Impact Wrench for DIY Mechanic

Djaniero

Member +
That one you have is the 400nm one. That’s what I was thinking would I need the 900 or 1600nm ones linked above instead :)

Last edited:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Fastening/Impact-Wrenches/2962P-20#sp-specs
i ended up buying this one a while back to work on the car, it was the optimal compromise ...i'd ideally like to get the smaller unit as well to fit into extremely tight spaces

considerations---size (head length, unit height), maximum power/torque rating, weight, battery life, selectable/preset torque settings (you want something that offers some flexibility to avoid breaking bolts/nuts), smooth trigger operation (allows you to easily adjust the speed/torque with your finger), safety trigger lock, led lights (preferably on the head of the unit, they come in handy in the engine bay), cost

watch some of the Youtube comparisons and reviews before buying ---torque test channel

Jay

Admin
I replaced a 20 year old Draper Expert with one of those Milwaukees before Xmas.

Quite impressed with it. So much so I've added a few other Milwaukee tools to the arsenal since!

SKINY

Lifer
I used Millwaki impact guns in the Quarry and they where a great job, everything was Millwaki, it all got locked in the managers office on my last week tho :( fuckers lol

daniel_g

Member +
Its about 1900Nm.

It'll undo anything apart from Diesel headbolts.

Milwaukee M18FHIWF12-0 M18 Fuel Impact Wrench 1/2" Drive Body Only https://amzn.eu/d/b22OL7e

They've came down in price. The batteries do cost a bit but you can get non genuine batteries for 30 odd quid.

Djaniero

Member +
1900Nm is mega impressive as the HP Ryobi I linked above was 1600.

Would 900Nm suffice for a diy mechanic or would 1600-1900nm come in handy?

daniel_g

Member +
Wouldn't get too hung up on thr torque ratings, I'm not sure how they are calculated and always seem very high.

Probably be fine with the one you've linked. If its just for Starlets.

I've never heard of that brand though. But brand isn't everything.

The Snap-on guns are notoriously bad. And the Ingersoll Rand don't last long either.

What I will say though is the Milwaukee are seriously good, tried and tested.

Djaniero

Member +
My mechanic got me onto that brand. I had never heard of them mysef in all honesty prior to him recommending them. Its just to do odd jobs on my GT and A3.
It speaks volumes that most of you guys all speak highly of the Milwaukee one so deffo will consider that one :cool:

SKINY

Lifer
As long as it cracks driveshaft nuts and shock bolts
Will hoke that other 1 out shortly, It cracked shaft nuts for fun and was 500ish on the torque

Jay

Admin
I just went for the mid-range one, haven't tested it properly yet but early impressions are good, certainly better than the old Draper it replaced.

Wouldn't put a lot of faith in the quoted torque tbh, I won't be binning my breaker bar just yet lol!

dac69er

Super Moderator
I'm pretty happy with my cheap and nasty eBay china special. Cost £17 delivered about 5 years ago and it's still going fine. It takes a Makita battery which I already had as I have a Makita drill.

It won't undo any big boy nuts, but it means it won't break anything either ;)

Calum122

Member +
Wouldn't get too hung up on thr torque ratings, I'm not sure how they are calculated and always seem very high.

Probably be fine with the one you've linked. If its just for Starlets.

I've never heard of that brand though. But brand isn't everything.

The Snap-on guns are notoriously bad. And the Ingersoll Rand don't last long either.

What I will say though is the Milwaukee are seriously good, tried and tested.
Oh dear :( I have a 3/8th Snap On Impact gun, 300ish Nm. I mainly do motorbikes, it's small and has been fine for me.

Although yeah, for the money I paid for it perhaps you're right. I distinctly remember it struggling to take the bolts off the top mount on my MX5 :eek: