Inside a TD04 pics. Opinions?

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
Hi guys,

Got a TD04L with 60k miles from a very standard 02WRX given to me recently. As I knew I couldnt lose out by taking it apart as I didn't pay for it I thought I'd give it a go! Before taking it apart the wheels sometimes felt like they would feel get stuck a bit when u spun the blades. I split it and cleaned it up a bit and lubricated it as much as I could. It now spins really well with very little play in the shaft. The blades on the cold side look mint but there are a few fins on the exhaust side that were slightly bent at the tips. Only slight so I dont think you can even see it on the pics! However stupid me thinks I know I will straighten them with some needle nose pliers and ended up breaking about a 1mm square piece off the inside tip of one of the blades! D'oh! Didnt touch the others after that! You can see this on the blade at about 2 'o' clock on the pic of the hot side.

Based on the above and the pics can anyone see why I couldnt use this turbo in the future purely from a condition point of view, compatibility issues aside?

100_1399.jpg

100_1397.jpg

Ta fellas

Mike

weeJohn

Lifer
The tips being bent would make you have a reason for doubting its servicability, but it looks fine to me.

As long as the fins dont hit the casing you will be ok, when the oil is around the bearing there will be much less shaft play.

You have nothing to loose by using it, I would fit it.

Jay

Admin
a few fins on the exhaust side that were slightly bent at the tips.

Hey Mike, that's likely happened during the splitting process as the blades can touch the walls if the housing is not removed cautiously (you can tell I've already killed a few blades to realise this).

Generally it does not affect performance but you may notice abnormal noises as a result of the broken ends.

Jay

MikeGlanzaV

Trader
weeJohn - i think i may know how the tips wer a little bent. On the 02WRX there is a cat on the up pipe which feeds the exhaust gas from the manifold to the turbo. On this particular car the cat had come loose and was causing the flow in the up pipe to the turbo to be restricted. Although the cat had not broken down and sent large bits through the turbo which would have destroyed it I would imagine very small particles came off where the cat was welded to the inside of the up pipe and this has caused the slight damage to the exhaust wheel. Either that or as Jay said I did it splitting it as I used a small hamer to tap it open!!

So you guys reckon that missing piece isn't much of an issue on its own?

Gonna keep this to one side for the future if so!

Mike

munday

Member +
The only thing i would be worried about is it being slightly out of balance now, how much difference that would make i have no idea TBH, just a thought :)

Jay

Admin
Knocking the housing off with a hammer can damage the blades in this way. Knock it too much to one side and the blades catch the housing. It takes you to remove it as evenly as you can to avoid this happening.

I know this cause I've done this too mate ;)

weeJohn

Lifer
As munday pointed out, there might be a slight unbalance. Dont think it would be severe enough to cause it to destroy itself, I have seen worse turbos come off and people have not even thought they had a problem with them.

Get it on at load it 1.8 bar as a test lol.

keirz

Member +
that looks ok mike to be honest.

the bent tips are pretty much 100% due to the removing of the turbine housing as said by jay.

cant beleive you broke the tip off! if it wasnt for that i would have straightend them for you and it would be sound.

the only problem is that the balance may be slightly out. i can always check this for you though mate, and if i cant get it balanced up right we can discuss the cost of a new shaft.

will come up tommorrow and check it over for you

Fishy89GT

Banned
Hi guys,

Got a TD04L with 60k miles from a very standard 02WRX given to me recently. As I knew I couldnt lose out by taking it apart as I didn't pay for it I thought I'd give it a go! Before taking it apart the wheels sometimes felt like they would feel get stuck a bit when u spun the blades. I split it and cleaned it up a bit and lubricated it as much as I could. It now spins really well with very little play in the shaft. The blades on the cold side look mint but there are a few fins on the exhaust side that were slightly bent at the tips. Only slight so I dont think you can even see it on the pics! However stupid me thinks I know I will straighten them with some needle nose pliers and ended up breaking about a 1mm square piece off the inside tip of one of the blades! D'oh! Didnt touch the others after that! You can see this on the blade at about 2 'o' clock on the pic of the hot side.

Based on the above and the pics can anyone see why I couldnt use this turbo in the future purely from a condition point of view, compatibility issues aside?

100_1399.jpg

100_1397.jpg

Ta fellas

Mike

I can't see why you can't use it, but its obviously not going to be as good as it could be.

also you can buy shafts, comp wheels and cartridges of JAwarehouse for cheaps and then rebuild it yourself as its pretty easy. instead of paying loads for someone to do it.