Interior filling with steam

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
A friend called in with me there saying he thought his car was on fire inside but he couldn't source it, so we legged it out to the car and got into the car. There was no smell of smoke, however when he turned the fans on the car filled with what looked like smoke, though there was no smell.

So after a little thought we have come to the conclusion it has to be the heater matrix leaking coolent which the fans then blow the steam into the cabin.

Would we be correct in thinking this? How much is a matrix and are they easy to fit?

kilo

Member +
yeah mate mine went. have a look under the pass footweld and see if you can find coolant..if you use coolant. It leaked outa my matrix to the floor, while smoke filled the car. I got mine re-cored just for £80 does suposinly a beter job and cheaper than a new one. Any rad place will be able to sort you out

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
yeah mate mine went. have a look under the pass footweld and see if you can find coolant..if you use coolant. It leaked outa my matrix to the floor, while smoke filled the car. I got mine re-cored just for £80 does suposinly a beter job and cheaper than a new one. Any rad place will be able to sort you out

Now that u mention it, when I got into his car the passenger footwell looked wet. The car is fully stripped, not even carpets or mats in it.

I'll pass on the info, cheers guys, will rep yas now.

whiteglanzav

Member +
sounds like Heater maxix buddy,i had it happen to me its a dash out job

take a look at what happened when i had to do mine

02022009022-001.jpg

thats my dad by the way lol

heres a link to walkthrough on changing it

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34134&highlight=heater+matrix

have fun lol

Johnny_C

Lifer
its not that bad,although id never want to have to do it to my own car,it wouldnt bother me doing it for somone else.:homer:

kilo

Member +
sounds like Heater maxix buddy,i had it happen to me its a dash out job

take a look at what happened when i had to do mine

02022009022-001.jpg

thats my dad by the way lol

heres a link to walkthrough on changing it

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34134&highlight=heater+matrix

have fun lol

yeah, thats the way mine ended up, only i was at work when it was being done, called out to the garage and seen a trail of starlet parts leading to find half my car missing, bad times lol

Jay

Admin
As Kilo said, get a recore. Just as good as new at half the price.

It's a stripping session to get at but if you need any help just shout.