Is it my altenator ? Help Please

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Hey Guys,

Went out to put petrol in my car tonight but will explain the situation.

The past couple of days the car has sometimes been a bit spluttery at times as if there is no smooth electrical flow in the car. I thought yeah fair enough sparks plugs must be on the way out, so i will change them this weekend.

When i went out tonight i was going along the road and started to rain so put my wipers on but they went really really slow so put it on the full setting which is ultra fast and yet it was really stalling and wiping slow. The dash board was really dim and the headlights not as bright as normal.

Then the car started to splutter and came to a stop. Tried to start it and boom flat battery would not start at all. So called on a mate to bring along a booster pack so that i could start the car.

Once the booster was connected i started the car again went down the road 500m then started to splutter lights really dim and it eventually cut out on me. So i immediately think ok the alternator is not charging the battery.

Boost it again and drive up the road WITHOUT any headlights on and i got alot further along. I also tried reving the car to keep the current high but again it cut out on me.

I have loads of petrol so certainly was not that.

The battery is brand new only 3 months old and been perfect. Had a volt meter on it and it said that there was no incomming charge when the car was on so this would conclude that it is the altenator not charging the battery ? Even when i reved it there was no current.

I hope this explanation is sufficient but i might have answered my own question just wanted others opinions before i get an alternator ?

Cheers,
Dane

Fizturbo

Member +
wipers goin slow motion does sound like your altenator mate,i a had the same problem also double check if the main earth wire is oky

Dane_Bristol

Member +
The multimeter was saying that there was no incoming current to the battery so basically it was not charging ? So this kind of concluded it for me ?

What about fuses i suppose is another thing ?

Josh-G-tt

Member +
i had the exact same problem the other week mate, my alternator was hanging on by 1 loose bolt, tightened it all up n started first time!

nutta

Member +
it will be the altenator for deffo, if it was a loose belt it would of come off by now, but it may be the pully on the alt, not the motor itself.... but, you may aswell just get a new alt, if you need help on finding one from somewere, give me a shout as i sell them at work cheap, Bosch, ADL, Valeo etc....

Regards, Dan

Mike D EP82

Member +
i would say alternator aswell. put a voltmeter onto the battery to check the voltage which should be 12-13volts, keep it attached and have someone start the car, keep an eye on the voltage as it cranks over. it should drop to around 10 volts no lower. then see if the battery charges once running should be nearer 14 volts but no more than say 14.9 as its then overcharging but you can usually smell this. if it stays at 12 problem solved alternator it is :)

scot-ish

Member +
i would check the alt belt is tight, then all the connections to the alternator, as a bad earth or that would cause it to not charge the battery, just have a look round it in the daylight, all coneections are tight, as above with the voltage check, and if none of them are correct, i'd guess the alternator has fucked, but quite strange on a 3 month old part

adi271087

Fresh Recruit
he said the battery was 3 month old .
n if the belt was so loose it dint sqeek its tits off it wnt power the water pum p eather.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Hey Guys,

I have checked the altenator belt and that is pretty tight not loose BUT i checked the power steering belt and that is pretty loose its not tight at all.

The power steering belt is part of the same pulley system could that be causing an issue if it is not tight or taught ?

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
not really dane, the ps wouldnt really affect it..

check your alternator fuze (big fuze in the black box in the engine bay) if not check ur earth's..

last resort would be ur alternator is dying, unless the battery you have bought may have had a damaged cell..

kon

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Cheers Kon, yeah it was a long shot cause the pulley is still driven by the crank so it shouldnt make a difference.

I dont even think the altenator has ever been changed, certainly not since i have owned the car so in all fairness its a possibility aswell.

weakboy2

Member +
dane, get under the car with the engine running, get the multimeter on the main wire going into the alternator, and earth the other probe whereever, that will prove if its screwed, also is the battery light on?

tbh i think its safe to say its alternator.

Spoonz

Member +
i would definly say its the alternator just from the sheer fact i had the same symptoms :)

i got one somewhere u can try if u want mate just give me a text :)

Dane_Bristol

Member +
Hey Guys,

This is now resolved alternator replaced and all seems well.

Perhaps this thread could be held in the ''resolved topic'' section for any future people having similar problems.

Thanks again for the added input.

Regards
Dane

Last edited: