is it the altenator ?

whiteglanzav

Member +
been getting a sqeeking noise since the track day adn it coming from the fan belt so its either the beltor one of the pullys

iv tightened the belt but it still happens

and i was driving back from sheff last nite and all the electrics started goin near to the point that there was no spark

i got it home and turned it off and it wouldnt start again

i jumped it and it was ok untill i turned it off again

sounds to me like the altenator but a bit of clarification would be nice

thanks

Rumel786

Member +
Definately sounds like the alternator bud.

Go to your local garage and they should have a battery/alternator tester in which they can test to see if the alternator is charging correctly as it should.

starletjosh

Member +
only problem is if the alternator was faulty the battery would be dead. You say you jump started it and im guessing that it ran until you turnt it off. If the battery was dead then the engine wouldnt run unless the alternator was charging. It could be an earth strap or something like that.

steo800

Member +
if you think theres a noise coming from it, get a screw driver, put it on the alternator and put your ear to the screwdriver, if its the alternator, the noise will vibrate through the screw driver to your ear.

if it nearly died when driving it, good chance it is the alternator.

Garci

Member +
think it might be your alternator cuz, sameting happen to me earlier this year & was alternator started squeeking louder & louder,then it went dead on me on hwy. had to get it rebuilt never happen again. try testing it first with car off should read bout 12v or close, then start & test again should now read 13.5 & up. anything below alternator goin.

Garci

Member +
If the alternator is goin it will still charge the batt when it feel like, if the batt hav around 11v it will start and be able to drive but as soon as it start using up the batt Volts, batt light on dash go flash or stay on then as you come to a stop,shuts off and only a jump start maybe get it started. when the alternator goes completely dead thts it,no more jump start will help until you get it rebuilt or sway for new 1. thts wot happened to me at least.

test be4 you spend money & it ends up being someting else.