Is the ep85 Manual gearbox strong enough for 5efte

5p1ff

Member +
From my previous post on my auto problem, It seems a waste trying to revive my auto box as it will die again. So i have sourced a ep85 manual gearbox and all the bits. This should be a direct bold on but can it handle a 5efte setup with stock ct9, ecu , ported manifold and wastegate??

On another note there is a post covering all the parts needed for a auto to manual swap. Im confused do i need the manual starter and engine mounts a posted here : http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53688&highlight=automatic+manual

Coz the mechanic said it is not required. Can some one please post me a link of a trusted guide for auto - manual convertion please.

Thanx :drive:

Jay

Admin
The non-turbo gearboxes don't usually handle the extra power too well mate. Known a few to last but these seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'd only fit it to keep the car driving and continue searching for a turbo gearbox as backup.

Jay

5p1ff

Member +
The non-turbo gearboxes don't usually handle the extra power too well mate. Known a few to last but these seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I'd only fit it to keep the car driving and continue searching for a turbo gearbox as backup.

Jay

Thanx will keep that i mind, i was told about a 2e gear box the guy told me it was a c56 is that correct?? he couldnt tell me where he pulled it from. So his warehouse had a few of them.

finx

Member +
5speed 2e gearboxs are coded c150, and dont like to take the same punishment that the turbo box's can take.
their weak points are the selector arms (inside the gearbox) so dont go trying to wench it into 2nd gear while doing burnouts and take it a bit easier on 1st to 2nd changes if you want it to last.
the gear sets also arent that forgiving and last of all the diffs are no way near as strong and they eat the spider gears if you put to much load on them, ie doing roll backs or similar load scenarios

2e-t turbo boxs are coded c 152 and are a wee bit stronger but still have the same issues with selector arms

4efte (ep82) gearboxs are coded c52 and are vertialy indestructable unless your a compleete monkey or the gearbox hasnt been serviced properly
stronger diff/gear sets and i have never seen a broken selector arm on one. where as i have seen it happen on c150's all the time.

4efte (ep91 or glanza v) gearboxs are coded c56.
these are the same indestructible gearbox's as the ep82 version but with better gear ratios, and same final drive.
3rd and 4th gear are a bit shorter than that of the c52 making for better acceleration and smoother interchange between gears which helps keep the car on boost/power instead of dropping off like can happen with the longer 3rd and 4th ratios of the c52 box's.

hope this gives you some insight

cheers
ryan

5p1ff

Member +
5speed 2e gearboxs are coded c150, and dont like to take the same punishment that the turbo box's can take.
their weak points are the selector arms (inside the gearbox) so dont go trying to wench it into 2nd gear while doing burnouts and take it a bit easier on 1st to 2nd changes if you want it to last.
the gear sets also arent that forgiving and last of all the diffs are no way near as strong and they eat the spider gears if you put to much load on them, ie doing roll backs or similar load scenarios

2e-t turbo boxs are coded c 152 and are a wee bit stronger but still have the same issues with selector arms

4efte (ep82) gearboxs are coded c52 and are vertialy indestructable unless your a compleete monkey or the gearbox hasnt been serviced properly
stronger diff/gear sets and i have never seen a broken selector arm on one. where as i have seen it happen on c150's all the time.

4efte (ep91 or glanza v) gearboxs are coded c56.
these are the same indestructible gearbox's as the ep82 version but with better gear ratios, and same final drive.
3rd and 4th gear are a bit shorter than that of the c52 making for better acceleration and smoother interchange between gears which helps keep the car on boost/power instead of dropping off like can happen with the longer 3rd and 4th ratios of the c52 box's.

hope this gives you some insight

cheers
ryan

Thanx for the extra info