jam ecu question??????

poke

Member +
hey guys,i no a guy selling a jam racing ecu but the ecu used to be running 1.3 bar its out of a ep91 would that ecu need to be mapped???or will it run alrite to just plug and play??here are the mods i would be running with it

stage 2 turbo from fensport
stainless manifold
decat
full system back
fcd
afr
front mount
hks mushroom filter from turbo
hks actuator
walbro 255l fuel pump

dac69er

Super Moderator
they cant be mapped. generally they seem very flexible and can put up with many difference setups. only way of knowing is putting it on and trying it and seeing what its like on the rollers

Jay

Admin
Worth mentioning that if it reacts tha same as any of the JAM's I've tested it won't agree with your FCD, AFR or upgraded fuel pump. They like stock fuel pressure.

As Duncan says - get it checked on a rolling road and see what it does before boosting blind.

poke

Member +
i was told i needed to upgrade the fuel pump because if i didnt it wud start doing damage to my internails so if i want to run the jam ecu would it be best to take it out and the fcd and afr???what would run well with that ecu??

Jay

Admin
The ECU has been mapped for another car so it is difficult to tell how it will react to your vehicle.

you will need to plug in the ECU and take it to a tuner. He will then use a combination of wideband and experience to get it to function best he can.

On previous testing I've found the JAM dislike modified fuelling and electronic gadgets that try to trick them. At the same time that could just be coincidence.

Timmy

Member +
Really not worth useing a jam ecu on your set up. A jam ecu has got to be £400 you may aswell spend £500-600 and get emange installed and set up.

dac69er

Super Moderator
Really not worth useing a jam ecu on your set up. A jam ecu has got to be £400 you may aswell spend £500-600 and get emange installed and set up.

the jam ecu is an easier option in most cases. fitting and installing an e-manage somewhere is alot harder than just plugging in an ecu and maybe adjusting the fuelling a bit.

Jay

Admin

Depends on the application mate, I know plenty of guys who love the 'kick up the arse' their cars have been given by these units. To simply write them off as an option is foolish.

poke

Member +
id say i would be better off leaving it, i dont want to do any damage to my engine, i rang westward eng and they wudnt go near it and there is no place down in waterford that would do it
do you know how a power fc would react with the mods i have??????????

dac69er

Super Moderator
Depends on the application mate, I know plenty of guys who love the 'kick up the arse' their cars have been given by these units. To simply write them off as an option is foolish.

ive run one on my car for a couple of years now with no problems and im happy with it.

ive never noticed anyone complain that their car wont start, isnt running properly etc when fitting one of these types of ecus so they are just an easy reliable option (unless your unlucky enough to get a duff one).

i agree a piggyback is better, but the ecu is only as good as the tuner so its not the be all and end all like jay said.

Aidan-G

Member +
what is a stage two turbo???ha

a power fc would give good results,but im not a fan of them anymore as mine went dead on me!!

ive had a jam ecu too,sure you could always try it,and sell it on,you could get lucky and it could bond with your mods:)

dac69er

Super Moderator
stages are usually used for the uno turbo/RS turbo/R5 turbo types. doesnt really mean anything.

i have a power fc but im not using it. its an expensive ornament ;)

Aidan-G

Member +
stages are usually used for the uno turbo/RS turbo/R5 turbo types. doesnt really mean anything.

i have a power fc but im not using it. its an expensive ornament ;)

i get frustrated when someone says to me..have you a stage 2 or 3 turbo in your car!:pi just say shut up,its "a" turbo!:)haha

really!!wanna sell it to me!im using mine as an ornament also,i wake up every morning looking at it cursing!!!:mad:

dac69er

Super Moderator
i get frustrated when someone says to me..have you a stage 2 or 3 turbo in your car!:pi just say shut up,its "a" turbo!:)haha

really!!wanna sell it to me!im using mine as an ornament also,i wake up every morning looking at it cursing!!!:mad:

its all boxed too with all paperwork commander and new adapter connector thing.
i will fit it, just havnt yet :(

thechomper

Member +
westword say that as it is the only ecu they can map {powerfc for gt or glanza},they wont touch emanage ,i have a jam ecu ,has worked perfect ,i think hybrid ran a jam ecu at 1.6 bar ,something mad anyway ,if you decided to buy a jam ecu ,with a apexi safc ,you can fine tune a jam ecu fueling,but yes jam ecu works better with standard fueling parts as said above,for plug and play worth every penny

Aidan-G

Member +
its all boxed too with all paperwork commander and new adapter connector thing.
i will fit it, just havnt yet :(

is that the one you baught of smore?simon moore?haha you baught that donkeys ago:pget it in there!haha,or maybe your going to hold on and never use it!haha

dac69er

Super Moderator
is that the one you baught of smore?simon moore?haha you baught that donkeys ago:pget it in there!haha,or maybe your going to hold on and never use it!haha

that is the one. had it about 18 months :rockon:

i may end up selling it without using it but ill have to see

Aidan-G

Member +
that is the one. had it about 18 months :rockon:

i may end up selling it without using it but ill have to see

god!i baught the cusco diff off him:)

well make sure and think of me when you go to sell it or if you do:p

im just going to use an f-con for a while!!i better stop spaming!!lol

dac69er

Super Moderator
basically what im getting at is that im so happy with my jam ecu so far that i havnt had an overwhelming urge to fit the power fc. i really should though as it would just complete my starlet. just going to be like selling a child selling the jam as its such a classic peice of jap and i love stuff like that. might just keep that as well ;)

Timmy

Member +
I wasn't writting off the jam just saying you may aswell do the job properly and get the best of your setup. A jam will probably run fine and a good bit of kit but really there ment for bolt on mods on a ct9.
Also i think people have alse had slight issues trying to run a safc with jam ecu's as the jam ecu tries to compensate for it.
You might want to have a look at hks f-con pfc is good as a budget one if you can get hold of one i believe toby abused one of these with some nice results, doesn't tune ign timing tho.
Alternativly maybe they can map HKS f-con IS if the don't do greddy, i think a plug in harness might be availible now to.
Apexi pfc is good to but expensive and discontinued now to.