jam racing ecu info needed!

andyglanzav

Member +
hi folks,
was wondering if i get a jam racing ecu for my glanza (spec below) will i need to change injectors or remove my rrfpr? or any other advice/opinions on them would be much appreciated!

Spec:

>HKS Mushroom Filter ran straight off turbo
>TRD Leads
>NGK Iridium Plugs
>SPS Mild Steel Manilfod
>Hybrid ct9 GT Spec Turbo
>Blitz Dump Valve
>Autobahn88 De-cat
>Cusco Oil Catch Can
>SARD Oil cooling Sandwich plate
>Apexi Cat Back Exhaust
>HKS Adjustable Actuator
>HDI Electronic Boost Controller
>SARD Fuel Pressure Reg
>Speedvision 315cc Injectors
>AutoBahn88 Fmic

cheers,
andy

CMR

Member +
You have two/three options really.

First of all running that hybrid you dont NEED bigger injectors as i doubt your maxing out the standard ones, and the JAM ecu will run best on stock fuel pressure and stock injectors as that is most likely what its mapped for.. so your best to go back to standard.

Two you could put the ecu in, go on a RR and set the FPR so its running ok (set it back to standard/below standard pressure), this may or may not work as i reckon with the injectors it will run rich

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
My personal advice would be not to get one, go for something you can remap like an emanage/unichip/power FC.

They were designed and mapped in Japan for Japanese spec cars and Jap fuel, you can't remap them and you will never really know what they were meant for. Even if you had the identical mods to the car it came from Japan with it will still be very different.

So many variables it's untrue I just think they are a waste of time personally unless used in conjuntion with a piggy back/fuel controller, in that instance you may as well just use one with the stock ECU as it will be cheaper.

Just my 2C.

T

Chris@CCM

Member +
if it was me i would refit the stock injectors and fpr then take it to get the afr checked out. x2 on what toby says the days of preprogamed ecus are over lol

Jay

Admin
Any JAM ECU's I have tested have offered best results on stock fuelling. Would recommend stock regulator and stock injectors but naturally a fuelling check should be carried out immediately after fitment and prior to boost.

CMR

Member +
My personal advice would be not to get one, go for something you can remap like an emanage/unichip/power FC.

They were designed and mapped in Japan for Japanese spec cars and Jap fuel, you can't remap them and you will never really know what they were meant for. Even if you had the identical mods to the car it came from Japan with it will still be very different.

So many variables it's untrue I just think they are a waste of time personally unless used in conjuntion with a piggy back/fuel controller, in that instance you may as well just use one with the stock ECU as it will be cheaper.

Just my 2C.

T

The major advantage is the increased ignition timings, and they can fuel (although a bit rich) anything that you throw at them within reason... for a plug + play ecu.

Mine is the best mod ive done to the car, the difference is remarkable.. yes I could get better peformance with something like an emanage but for people who just prefer the plug+play without having to get it remapped everytime you add something they are ideal.

My .02$

Toby@ToyTuning.com

if it was me i would refit the stock injectors and fpr then take it to get the afr checked out. x2 on what toby says the days of preprogamed ecus are over lol

Yeah I just can't see the point really, people sell them for £400.00 odd, another £200.00 and you can get it spot on just not worth saving a few pennies to cut corners when you don't really have any idea on what they were intended for.

If you have to get them on the dyno anyway to check then you may as well use that dyno time to map something you can actually map. Fair play if you get one for a tenner or it comes on the car then why not may as well investigate but spending £400.00 odd on one when you have no idea really is madness in my eyes. :homer:

andyglanzav

Member +
ha six minutes and i know everythin i need to know!:p

cheers for the replys, only realised now the one i was looking at is for an ep82 so its not an option any more, since ive got you all talking though i might aswel ask you all what management would you recommend i get!?

Toby@ToyTuning.com

The major advantage is the increased ignition timings, and they can fuel (although a bit rich) anything that you throw at them within reason... for a plug + play ecu.

Mine is the best mod ive done to the car, the difference is remarkable.. yes I could get better peformance with something like an emanage but for people who just prefer the plug+play without having to get it remapped everytime you add something they are ideal.

My .02$

If it's running rich then yeah it will be okay but I just wouldn't want this, would rather have the optimum tune. I think some just like the sound of "plug & play" if only life was that easy but I can totally see what you are saying don't get me wrong.

You have far more features for a few hundread quid more so you can play with ignition regardless you just need to spend a bit more and get a decent mapper. Like you said everyone is different just my opinion which doesn't mean it's right just not what I would personally do. In the long run it's pretty much the same with cost and time.

T

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Andy, list your mods, what do you want from the car, what do you want to achieve, what future mods do you plan and where will the car be used, will it be fast road with occasional track, track monster, qrt mile etc let us know all the details.

For a mild tune a FCD, FPR, Pump and Fuel controller will be fine but not ideal. Next up piggy back then full standalone if you need something very specific. Some guys running 300hp with piggy, others stand alone.

So so many variables, different equipment works with different ancillaries but be as specific as you can and am sure we can all recommend the best steps.

T

dac69er

Super Moderator
im well happy with mine. ive had a power fc for 2 years but havnt bothered fitting it yet as ive been so happy with the results of the jam.

the lad who had both the jam and the pfc before me only gained about 10bhp at most when changing from the jam to the apexi

Toby@ToyTuning.com

As above Dunc has had good results, some will but some won't I just don't like gambling with my money and like to know whats going on before I buy. I'm not trying to say they are good or bad I'm just saying that I think their are better options out there, their is no such thing as a fit and forget ECU but everyone will have different opinions, that's mine and it doesn't mean it's right for you just what I think are the facts.

T

andyglanzav

Member +
heres the full spec:

Spec:
>HKS Mushroom Filter ran straight off turbo
>TRD Leads
>NGK Iridium Plugs
>SPS Mild Steel Manilfod
>Hybrid ct9 GT Spec Turbo
>Blitz Dump Valve
>Autobahn88 De-cat
>Cusco Oil Catch Can
>SARD Oil cooling Sandwich plate
>Apexi Cat Back Exhaust
>HKS Adjustable Actuator
>HDI Electronic Boost Controller
>Autobahn 88 Blue Rad Hoses
>Blue Pipework under the Bonnet
>SARD Fuel Pressure Reg
>Speedvision 315cc Injectors
>AutoBahn88 Fmic
>Cusco Fully Adjustable Coilovers
>Cusco Adjustable Top Mounts
>Renault Megane Splitter
>Vttr pads all round
>Boost Gauge
>Oil Temp Gauge
>15" Enkei's
>R888's all round!

the car is used everyday to get me around basically, i have a 20fizzle for the track so the glanza was originally just a runaround but ive kinda got carried away with it recently!

i'm not planning anythin more really engine wise, only gearbox mods from now on id say.

im basically looking for the best option management wise, i want to get the most out of what i have, what more should i expect from the likes of a greddy e-manage compared to an apexi avcr2 etc, do the benefits outweigh the price difference etc?

cheers for all the info!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

AVCR is a boost controller think you mean the SAFC or the newer NEO, these are just fuel controllers.

With that spec (noticed you had 888's you must be a track monster at heart) then I would recommend something like Emange or the newer improved unichips.

This will give you room to upgrade turbo at a later stage. You could get fairly good results with a basic fuel controller but it's a fair old spec so I would recommend either a good piggy back like Emanage or standalone like Uni or Power FC so you can fine tune. Totally up to you though, you could get a basic tune with a FPR alone but not what I would recommend. You will also need bigger injectors if going over a bar on those hybrids to avoid maxing duty cycle.

To give you an idea we ran 330's and they were near to 85% at 1 bar on TT hybrid, you can get away with raising reg pressure but always better to have too big than too small injector wise. Again just my opinion not gospel truth.

T

andyglanzav

Member +
AVCR is a boost controller think you mean the SAFC or the newer NEO, these are just fuel controllers.

With that spec (noticed you had 888's you must be a track monster at heart) then I would recommend something like Emange or the newer improved unichips.

This will give you room to upgrade turbo at a later stage. You could get fairly good results with a basic fuel controller but it's a fair old spec so I would recommend either a good piggy back like Emanage or standalone like Uni or Power FC so you can fine tune. Totally up to you though, you could get a basic tune with a FPR alone but not what I would recommend. You will also need bigger injectors if going over a bar on those hybrids to avoid maxing duty cycle.

To give you an idea we ran 330's and they were near to 85% at 1 bar on TT hybrid, you can get away with raising reg pressure but always better to have too big than too small injector wise. Again just my opinion not gospel truth.

T

yea sorry i meant a SAFC! ive been checking out the Greddy e-manages a bit, it seems theyre prob the best bet in terms of flexability and price. is the e-manage blue a piggy back and the e-manage ultimate a full standalone yea? seems obvious but cant find an answer anywhere!

yea 4 x r888's to my door for under 250 euro was too tempting tbh!

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
i agree with toby, obviously the emanage/powerFC etc is better but it's a darn sight more expensive than an ecu!

my blitz ecu was £385 + £40 rollingroad session to check fueling etc - total price £425!

Now lets look at the emanage price.

emanage unit - 350 ish
one touch field harness - 80-100 (not needed though)
wiring into the harness/loom - 2hours labour minimum (100)
mapping the car - £200-300 easily!

over double the cost of an ecu for potentially (as Dunc said) a few more horsepower, then you need a remap everytime you change something.....

i'm a great fan of the ecu's - plus if you buy it and it doesnt fuel correctly, just unplug it and sell it on here - you'll never lose money on it!

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
and thats assuming you know a good tuner! you could well have to travel a few hours to find one - thats yet more money! Remember, just because you buy a powerFC doesnt mean you're going to have a top notch tune, your tune is only as good as the tuner!

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Emanage is about £650.00 for supply/fit/map.

I know what you mean buddy, don't get me wrong not bad units at all just you don't really know where you stand. For the few extra go for something you can map, or new Unichip as it's full standalone.

It's not about getting more horsepower it's about knowing what your getting and getting the best tune, you "never know" with a plug and play and tbh there is no such thing just not a risk I would personally take but everyone is different.

Good info mate.

T

would it make more sense to pay the extra for an emanage than a jam ecu for the fuel economy side?

if a jam ecu runs rich that means it will b hard on fuel where as an emanage will give optimum fuel economy.

would the difference in fuel saving be noticed between the two?

just something to think about.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Yeah for sure, it's like my STi Wagon import, used to Jap fuel and runs really rich. Got a stand alone ECU (Simtek) with remap on 99 Vpower and junked the stock one, made another 40hp and now dones't do 15MPG.

I think it was more like 3 lamp posts to the gallon tbh. You could advance ignition but my advise would be to not take the gamble to start with, again just my opinion doesn't mean it's right for you.

T