Japanese Import Car Market - A Bad Sign...

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
I've just been informed that one of the largest independent car export dealers in Japan has decided to close its operations after 12-years. Given the UK's economy, a large amount of business has been lost in exporting from Japan to the UK, as car prices for us have gone up in the region of 30-40%. Add that to a global recession, throw in an Earthquake and Tsunami, and you've got a very difficult situation for the Japanese which will not be getting better soon.

This will obviously have an impact on UK dealers. Car prices are high, fuel costs have risen (thankfully, they're going down a bit, but not much), so buying a car costs more, and shipping a car costs more (fuel costs). Everyone is budget conscious at present, so expensive imported cars will not sell. This will mean one of two things. Dealers will start looking at the bottom-end of the barrel, meaning more shite will come over, or, they just won't bother, and will close up shop.

So, what does that mean for the future of imports in the UK? Probably not a lot to be honest... The UK reached saturation point with inbound Japanese imports a while ago, demonstrated aptly by how cheaply you can pick up UK owned imports. The recession/poor exchange rate will mean less imports coming in, and fewer 'fresh' cars to choose from, but there will still be plenty to choose from, so market prices will probably remain unaffected. The only real loss is that people can't get their ideal car, and may have to settle for something that isn't their ideal, and has been pre-owned in the UK.

I haven't imported anything for a while due to the exchange rate, but I didn't expect a major exporter in Japan to close up shop. I also notice that HKS are withdrawing from America, so things are seemingly getting tougher by the day in the import market.

If you've got something special, look after it, as getting a replacement from Japan is getting to the point where it's no longer viable...

GP82

Member +
That is bad and also sad. Guess i will not be seeing as many white imports. Not good times at all for the trade or the customer.

dark_knight

Member +
trickle effect

there's always a trickle-down effect at some level so i'm bracing myself for any possible outcome.. :( ..as if the cost of living is not already high enough.. :(

Jay

Admin
Sad to hear this but it's been on the cards for a long time. Hard times ahead for importers and owners I reckon as prices will no doubt continue to creep up.

Might get our exclusivity back again though!

Jay

SupaStu

Member +
If its any consolation, i'm sure all cars are affected somewhat by the problems in Japan, with a lot of parts coming from there etc. Just need to give the starlets some tlc.

Recessions, wars, earthquakes and various other problems the world is having at the moment!

stuarty1

Member +
yea its crap just brought a starlet from japan like 3 weeks ago it took ages of lookin to get a decent one for cheep money as u can pick up a decent standerd glanza for just over 2 grand