Japanese Performance Magazine *We want you guys*

JPMatt

Fresh Recruit
Hi guys,
My name's Matt Shaw and I write for Japanese Performance Magazine. During the past 6 months we have hopefully turned a corner with the mag by trying to bring it bang up to date and trying not to alienate people as much as was probably the case in the past. We are trying to get away from Evo and Scooby heavy issues and giving everyone in the scene a chance to get there chosen model/marque into the limelight. We also want to get heavily involved in meets, maybe getting them into a regular slot in the front of the magazine. We know that you guys are knocking out some great cars at the moment but you probably know better than I do as to who deserves to represent the Toyota with a feature. Please let me know direct of any potential feature cars, meet ideas or anything you think may be relative to get you guys some coverage. If a mod could sticky this too so you have somewhere to chuck your ideas that'd be great!
Thanks!
Matt :rockon:

My direct email is: japaneseperformance@hotmail.co.uk

Last edited:

pig666eon

Member +
welcome along matt some great cars on here loads to choose from, if you look in the members garage you will see them all, im sure people could post up suggestions of cars

im working on something atm not finished yet so its no good but if you think you might be interested in the future let me know and i could keep you updated

IMG_0161.jpg

d3da2b06.jpg

2a98c79f.jpg

sx_turbo

Lifer
we've had all this before, magazines asking for cars to feature then never bothering,

and instead week in week out there will be an evo, or a skyline or something filling the mags yp, or more recently banging on how great it is to get 280bhp out of a 2.0 or something, yet these little 1.3 engines have been doing that for years, and some with very driveable results.

so what would make your magazine different to others??

p.s.

i have no personal interest as no longer own a starlet

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
agree ricky, dont know if you remeber how driveable mine was off boost when we met up lakeside that time.
its such a shame, as yet still i surprise people when they see it is a 1.3 powering my glanza, and i feel most starlet owners always love that idea...

AdamB

Member +
its such a shame, as yet still i surprise people when they see it is a 1.3 powering my glanza, and i feel most starlet owners always love that idea...

x2 thats the wow factor about these little machines :)
As said if you are looking for some cars then look through the members garage sections, i'm sure you could pick plenty out from there ;)

JPMatt

Fresh Recruit
we've had all this before, magazines asking for cars to feature then never bothering,

and instead week in week out there will be an evo, or a skyline or something filling the mags yp, or more recently banging on how great it is to get 280bhp out of a 2.0 or something, yet these little 1.3 engines have been doing that for years, and some with very driveable results.

so what would make your magazine different to others??

p.s.

i have no personal interest as no longer own a starlet

I'd like to think that we have shown ourselves to be different! Two months ago we featured a Civic Turbo on the cover which would never have been done in the past at JP. In return our sales of that issue went up 30% so from a publishers point of view it made sense. Both myself and Dan(the Ed) are not only writers but we are properly into the scene and have been for just under 20 years. We came on board before last Christmas and were given full reign to change what we wanted to encourage a fresh faced looking mag thats hopefully shaken off the old, dated style of Jap Performance of the past. Obviously we still have 1 Scooby, 1 Evo and maybe 1 Skyline per issue sometimes but they are the most supported Marques in the Jap scene so to remove them completely would be ridiculous. I know how it is myself to own a lesser model as I've got an MX5 and I'd love to see more in the mags. This is what we are trying to achieve. Check it out next time you go in WHSmith and if you don't like it don't buy it but please have a look and hopefully you'll like what you see. If you do like it...pass on the word! Thanks! Matt

JPMatt

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the positive replies guys be assured if I do find feature cars on here and contact you, they WILL be featured in the magazine! Please don't blindly judge our mag by the past writers and editors. Give us a go next time your in the newsagents we have a great mix of expensive and cheap cars to keep everyone happy! If I didn't like it I would change it!!
Thanks lads.
Matt

ryan-11

Member +
sounds good to me, you need to get over to ukstarletclub.com too, some nice cars on there too.

Johnny_C

Lifer
i bought jap performance there 2 weeks ago,and to be fair,its not a bad mag at all,and is alot more varied to what it was.
keep up the good work with it matt!

JPMatt

Fresh Recruit
Thanks bud! It's hard to change people's minds once they believe something and I'm just as bad at listening to Chinese whispers. We'll get there though with a bit of support. Thanks Johnny!

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
I had a small bit on my car in the past at Ten of the best, was chuffed that the JP people came over to talk to me when there was some very serious cars at the track.

Mines never been a looker but if your interested in something with a bit of go then send me a PM :) just tested her out at 2.65bar yesterday.

richglanzav

Member +
gta admit i would love to see some more variety of cars in the magazines. its ok seeing skylines, supras, evos and scoobs, but i always love the reads more if theres some smaller cars in there more on my level like civics, starlets, charade gtti, kei cars, etc.

theres a few good threads on here i like weejohns ep85 thread for one. little starlet, short ratio gearbox, nearly 300bhp from its 1.3 engine and 4wd...terrific acceleration - serious machine. but theres many others. lot of special cars on here and UK starlet club also...

rage

Lifer
maybe a foreign transformation story?

from this:

starlet_zijkant.JPG

to this:

2011-06-03%25252021.46.50.jpg

2011-06-13%25252022.44.30.jpg

IMG_0894.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG

would love to be in a mag someday

grum-glanza

Member +
rage your car is sick i love the wired tucked engine bay and the dash thats unreal would seriously love to have my car in a magazine it would be savage