Just got back from my MOT test......

Glanza_K31

Member +
Like the title says i just got back from having my MOT done, the result.......... Fail!

It failed on my handbrake on the n/s has little or no stick, o/s is fine tho.

Can anyone shed some light on what would cause this or anyone experienced this?

Mechanic said it could possibly be sticky cable or caliper. handbrake lever also a bit stiff.

All help appreciated.
Kei

Glanza_K31

Member +
Will take a look tomo thanks for the info.

Just in case it isnt the cable anything else it could be or should check??

Glanza_K31

Member +
I was told anything from 1995 onwards needs a cat BUT it really all depends on what garage you go to and how well you know em etc

Thats the way i see it, ppl may say otherwise

Monkfish

Member +
If the handbrake won't engage or isn't strong enough, most likely culprit is a stretched cable or seized caliper (Caliper can be ruled out of the footbrake test was fine). If the handbrake is sticking on, it could be the caliper at fault, but most likely it's a tired return spring. Replace them, they are only a few pounds from MrT.

:)

mine is up for mot here was wonderin will it pass with a decat on?

If you drive a post Aug 01 '95 GT or Glanza, no.

Glanza_K31

Member +
If the handbrake won't engage or isn't strong enough, most likely culprit is a stretched cable or seized caliper (Caliper can be ruled out of the footbrake test was fine). If the handbrake is sticking on, it could be the caliper at fault, but most likely it's a tired return spring. Replace them, they are only a few pounds from MrT.

Cheers monkfish will bare that in mind.

For those who know about the brake tests, here are my results

Service brake
front n/s 268
front o/s 283
rear n/s 108
rear o/s 109

Parking brake
n/s 118
o/s 32

sx_turbo

Lifer
kei if you want i pm you my number.

text me on monday and i see if i can get you a cable from work for cost ;) adl should have them back in stock by now hopefully, i cant promise anything though.

Pumba_GT

Member +
Not another one... I think this is such a common problem on the Starlet. I bought 2 rear calipers and handbrake cable to solve the culprit.

Monkfish

Member +
how do we find out if my quadlamp was made before aug 01 ' 95

It's on the V5 as "Approximate date of first use".

Cheers monkfish will bare that in mind.

For those who know about the brake tests, here are my results

Service brake
front n/s 268
front o/s 283
rear n/s 108
rear o/s 109

Parking brake
n/s 118
o/s 32

That's a stretched cable more than likely. Replace that first, especially seeing as sx_turbo can get you one at cost.

Glanza_K31

Member +
thanks for the response guys, got things sorted today thanks to sx_turbo and my local garage.

in the end it was a mixture of seized brake line and weak spring on caliper. its still a bit weak but least it passed.

Harvey

Member +
Yeah its common on starlets as the rear calipers are just **** (nsert own expletive lol). On the starlet iam prepping for mot and registering the n/s handbrake cable was seized. Luckiliy they are a reasonable £40 ish from Toyota.

stuart

Member +
I ended up buying set of rear hubs, bearings and new pads to get mine through the o/s handbrake malarky! Saw a thread earliar with the price of genuine toyota calipers too..... £250+???

BomB191

Member +
I ended up buying set of rear hubs, bearings and new pads to get mine through the o/s handbrake malarky! Saw a thread earliar with the price of genuine toyota calipers too..... £250+???

its getting to the point that aftermarket is cheeper then factory how messed up is that

Monkfish

Member +
its getting to the point that aftermarket is cheeper then factory how messed up is that

It's always been that way. Dealers charge what they want for parts because quite often, they are the only source.

mine is up for mot here was wonderin will it pass with a decat on?

it will pass no probs as long as ur co's are ok

No, it won't. He drives (Providing his profile info is up to date) a '96 Glanza. This will be put through the basic cat test. The 4E, although quite clean and efficient, will not pass the basic cat test with a decat fitted.