just how quick starlets really are

Status
Not open for further replies.

richglanzav

Member +
basically im a petrol head and love cars so always look at all different cars even tho i love my glanza...what ive noticed is that starlets get some seriously quick quarter mile times!!

is it just me or do sum other much much more powerful cars not get even close? i mean to fairly modded starlets?

a lotta starlets on ere doin 12s and 13s sum even in the 11s and im hard pushed to find other cars that do those kinda times even when extensively modified, just think its a tribute to these super little pocket rockets!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Not many doing 12's in UK, a handful doing 13's. Most ones I've seen on track pull out 15's+

Rumel786

Member +
Anyone seen the video of that vauxhall victor on quater mile lol 7.8 seconds, 0-60 in one second!

worlds fastest street legal car, were drooling when i saw the vid! :p

Dan3SGTE

Member +
alot cars can hit 13's....

12's are difficult...

Over on the EK9 forum there are a few with B18/B20 conversions still N/A running around 220WHP acheiving mid 12's.....

Bit of practise to get those launches and gear changes perfect....

nexia201

Member +
alot cars can hit 13's....

12's are difficult...

Over on the EK9 forum there are a few with B18/B20 conversions still N/A running around 220WHP acheiving mid 12's.....

Bit of practise to get those launches and gear changes perfect....

thats 1.8ltr and 2ltr we are talking not 1.3ltr! and where toyota engine is 20 years old the honda one is more modern with more technical parts and that makes the little 1.3ltr more amazing:p

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
also you dont spend as much to get into 12's as other cars!!!

im not saying its cheap cos its not. but!

1) you can find loadz of tuning parts for the 4e
2) not expensive as other models
3) the EP itself is not that expensive

GTti

Member +
For the money (Say 2.5 ~ 3.5k), they're not fast nor do they offer many features.

For a 1.3, 15 year old car, they're fast.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
thats 1.8ltr and 2ltr we are talking not 1.3ltr! and where toyota engine is 20 years old the honda one is more modern with more technical parts and that makes the little 1.3ltr more amazing:p

But they dont have a turbo...

Regardless of weather they are 1.3 litre, the engine is doing next to nothing once a large turbo is on... All the power is by forced air from the turbos compresser, the engine only has to produce exhaust gasses for it to start spinng... Wow, imressive little 1.3 :homer:

And you can also bring punto GT's as well as Uno turbos as well as renault 5's into the 11 with large enough turbos and forged engines.....

Not sure which route would be more cost effective but they are cars that can still aceive it, starlets are NOT superior, they are very cool though :cool:

Also what about motorbikes? Super bikes are 1.0 litres N/A that do 9's/10's :p Now thats a cheap way of going fast...

Its just about the power to weight ratio, find a very light car, semi powerful engine and your away! :)

nexia201

Member +
But they dont have a turbo...

Regardless of weather they are 1.3 litre, the engine is doing next to nothing once a large turbo is on... All the power is by forced air from the turbos compresser, the engine only has to produce exhaust gasses for it to start spinng... Wow, imressive little 1.3 :homer:

well you must know that the ports int and exh on a 1.3ltr starlet even tough fitted with a turbo ( and as you said the engine has to produce a lot of exhaust gasses )are very small on fact you could probably fit a starlet engine in a the ports of the b16 and b18 honda v-tec engine as they are huge! They are twice the size of the vauxhall 2ltr 16v redtop engine!

well in competition a 1.3 ltr turbo will be classed and raced with a 1.6ltr n/a engine but you are comparing it with 1.8's and 2ltr engines :p and i cant see a 1.6ltr coming close not even to a standard starlet gt after all the power generated is still coming out of a 1.3ltr turbo or no:p

Dan3SGTE

Member +
well you must know that the ports int and exh on a 1.3ltr starlet even tough fitted with a turbo ( and as you said the engine has to produce a lot of exhaust gasses )are very small on fact you could probably fit a starlet engine in a the ports of the b16 and b18 honda v-tec engine as they are huge! They are twice the size of the vauxhall 2ltr 16v redtop engine!

well in competition a 1.3 ltr turbo will be classed and raced with a 1.6ltr n/a engine but you are comparing it with 1.8's and 2ltr engines :p and i cant see a 1.6ltr coming close not even to a standard starlet gt after all the power generated is still coming out of a 1.3ltr turbo or no:p

but stock on stock the Ek9 out accelerates the GT and thats a 1.6 :p

And i know that its still coming from a 1.3 but my point is, there are other cars of around that cc engine that can run the same type of turbos and get similar results both in power as well as putting down the times...

There is a Renault 5 GTT down my way, bright orange thing, hits 11.7 up the quarter and thats only 1.4 8valve engine not to metion is carbareter!! :haha: And thats down the UK where times are slower ;)

GTti

Member +

+40% for turbocharger.

In most UK competitions, it'd be classed and raced in the 1.8 > 2.0 NA.

nexia201

Member +

And i know that its still coming from a 1.3 but my point is, there are other cars of around that cc engine that can run the same type of turbos and get similar results both in power as well as putting down the times...

There is a Renault 5 GTT down my way, bright orange thing, hits 11.7 up the quarter and thats only 1.4 8valve engine not to metion is carbareter!! :haha: And thats down the UK where times are slower ;)

do you consider upping the boost on the starlet as a mod? as a 10psi - 12psi boosted starlet can eat an ek9 and in my opinion that is still standard as you havent touched any engine components

Dan3SGTE

Member +
standard is "factory setting", so yes, running higher boost is technically modding.

I do also think you need some more experience with GT vs EK9 as you really have the wrong idea bud.... Providing the EK9 is running around its stock BHP of 185, the GT need a fair more then just 10PSI......... take it from someone that owns both cars buddy :)

BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY LOL!!!! Your car is an acception as its VERY light. They are almost half a car those aygos lol

But the anwser to the origonal question, see my point about starlets are no exception?

nexia201

Member +
standard is "factory setting", so yes, running higher boost is technically modding.

I do also think you need some more experience with GT vs EK9 as you really have the wrong idea bud.... Providing the EK9 is running around its stock BHP of 185, the GT need a fair more then just 10PSI......... take it from someone that owns both cars buddy :)

BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY LOL!!!! Your car is an acception as its VERY light. They are almost half a car those aygos lol

But the anwser to the origonal question, see my point about starlets are no exception?

you think the aygo is so light :rolleyes::rolleyes: its 810kgs so not far off a gt so i guess its a good engine and a good driver you need to beat an ek9 :p

Johnny_C

Lifer

your turning this into a civic vs starlet thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.