Just wondering what other starlet owners are using clutch wise for 200+ bhp motors?

scottydouk

Member +
Was just wondering what other Starlet owners are using clutch wise for 200+ bhp motors?
Tried uprated exedy and a 3 paddle cluctch and both slip.
Cheers

A

Animal GT

wat about ACT clutches they seen to be good iv 1 but not yet fitted,suposely fit for 300bhp!!time will tell.lol

ragz

Member +
i use exedy paddle clutch

never known it to slip

i abuse it like mad n it still handles it

goldenvtr

Member +
the orc will only suit the flywheel it comes with. and the bolt pattern is diffrent to the crank as you already know.

not too keen on the "drilling holes" way around this.

This post is very misleading as we have already established the the Ebay clutch you have is not a geunine EP82 kit, the plate is smaller and the cover standard. Buy a proper Organic or Paddle Exedy unit and you will have no problems. We know this to be fact as we fitted a "Techniclutch" kit to a customers car and it was wrong. The was a thread covering these clutches I posted on the old site

Monty

Member +
Can someone explain the differences between the clutches? I was told that paddle clutches are either on of off but i didnt understand this explanation? Can anyone tell me what that means and how u change gear, pull away stop etc?

A

Animal GT

it basically means u have no play with clutch,its gona be snapy if ya no wat i mean,very sudden take off like

Adam_Glanza

Member +
he means in english that there is no clutch control, so say when your going up a hill normally you can catch it on the "bite point" of the clutch.. these have non of that and its simply either not engaging or it snaps in and off you go.. so its not great for traffic usage but if your just thrashing it threw the countryside its not that much of a pain.

but for road usage it may become a pain in the ass

Gee

Member +
I have a CAP paddle clutch. Been on the car for over a year, running 220bhp with no problems at all. Never slipped once and doesnt jerk when setting off and is not snappy.

GTwayne

Member +
If the paddle clutch is sprung then shouldn't be a problem, it's when you have an unsprung paddle clutch where you get problems especially in traffic.

Rory

Lifer
Clutches are not rated for horsepower, its Torque.
A standard blue print job lasted me 6 months at 210bhp / 170 lbft, and it never slipped once.
Im now running a Exedy 3 puck paddle and it handles the power and torque just fine.