Kirkistown 27/7/2008 Afterthoughts & Gossip

Jay

Admin
Just a brief note to say thanks to all the lads and ladies who turned up at Kirky today. Was a hot day with plenty of drama.

I'm cooked, my brakes are cooked, my engines cooked and dinners cooked. :)

Will update shortly on todays events!

whitestarlet

Member +
i take it since you a posting here Jay you nursed the wee trackstar home??
forgot that this was on so was only able to get down for a wee while!!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
wohoooo!! i love it when the irish lads come up with the post meet pics! :D

bring em on jay :rockon:

kon

Jay

Admin
Quite an eventful day all in all! :)

On one of the first sessions I passed Wee John's and Ted's track corolla buried into a tyre wall. Actually had to dodge an escaping tyre rolling across the chicane. Smiles all round and the battlescars look great so no real harm done. It was a sign of the madness to come.

Later on in the day I got a 80mph ringside seat to Trevor's flying mx5 stunt. Debtors is an unforgiving corner and I've never inspected a mazda undercarriage at such speed before. That was an insane moment. In fact possibly the most insane moment I've had on that track!

The Mines ECU offered a lot to the trackstar. Fuelling was perfect, running .8 of a bar on the TD04 she was turning into a contender. Enjoyed a ton of 'hot' laps until I finally managed it - she popped a piston.

I'm going to put my hands up and admit it was my own fault. Yes the engine is old but it was the sheer abuse that killed it. Guess it's make or break time for the little EP80 now. We'll see what happens..

Failing that it was a stunner of a day, plenty of banter was enjoyed and no regrets. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.

I got zero pics but I'm pretty sure Nanglebadger had the camera out a few times. Cheers for seeing me home dude.

Jay

glanov

Fresh Recruit
was some banter rite enough allways seams too be!!! :) good till see a few off you boys again

Jay

Admin
Just to confirm, Wee John and Ted are grand. It didn't seem to knock any sense into them either.

Trevor somehow managed to land the mx5 and continue the session unflustered.

No real harm done and a few vital lessons learned in the course of the day! :)

alan_d

Lifer
lets get the thankyous out of the way!

Leanne... for going with me and tolerating the kitten and buyin dinner...

Jay... For letting me copilot on the kamikaze engine blaster fairground ride...

Trev... for proving to me that single seaters arnt unbeatable.. blue flag anyone?

Ted and Wee John... For taking Leanne out in the rubber munching corolla...wire tyres anyone?

and thanks to everyone I met and spent a while chatting to!

Glanov, deffo get her up some night mate, id love to spend a while on your car, its already exceptional!

Paul? your SR is in exceptional condtion! a true beauty and a great alternative to a Glanza S!

heres what pics I have from the day, I saw Nanglebadgers camera and put my camera phone away, 5mp or not lol!

I got a good video from the session that killed the Trackstar! pass the bandages I think she cut an artery!!!! there was oil EVERYWHERE, the mirror, underside of bonnet, bulkhead the heap! it looked like the breather was a new exhaust opening lol! good work Sir!

heres what little pics I have, and a wee video too before I was told I wasnt allowed a camera on track [booooo] :( [/boooo]

Beautiful bridgeported RX7. A deadly tool as can be seen from the video.
781260146a8461048278l.jpg

781260146a8461067766l.jpg

781260146a8461078256l.jpg

vid to follow!

SupaStu

Member +
Couldnt make this one, had to spend some quality time with the better half, although I did try to get her to come down to the track, which was a negative lol.

Bad news on the trackstar Jay, new project on the way perhaps??

I'll make it out one of these bloody days ;)

GTti

Member +
Thank god you hadn't 'raised the bonnet', other wise that oil would have been all over the windscreen!

Great video, would be nice to see some good in car equipment in your trackstar Jay. A hand held phone in a passenger seat certainly doesn't give a real perception as to how quick you're going in the video. There's nothing like hearing the crisp note of the turbo spooling, knowing exactly when you're on the throttle etc.

Jay

Admin
Thank god you hadn't 'raised the bonnet', other wise that oil would have been all over the windscreen!

That's a hugely valid point - one that I mentioned to Alan whilst we were assessing the damage.

My wing mirror was covered in old. If that had been on my windscreen it would have made things a lot more dangerous. Makes me worry about you lads running with raised bonnets. Please don't. .

alan_d

Lifer
we were fortunate even to get that snippet of video, as shortly after going out, we were told that we wernt allowed to use a camera. seems a bit overly 'pc' given its a track lol...
they told it was for our safety, but were totally content with the large handheld AFR box which could have clubbed us round the face and was precariously tangled around the handbrake lmfao!

I was considering purchasing a bullet cam to stealth fit to a starlets bonnet vent, but given the reality of yesterday it might be a short term purchase.
The real expense seems to be the cost of capturing the video. though my new laptop and a video capture card may be the way around it.
whens that next track day visit Jay??? :D

Trevor might be a feasible guinea pig on second thoughts, plus hes DAMN fast and provided a few possible prize winners from youve been framed lol!
I salute you good sir for your epic driving bravado!

alan_d

Lifer
thats without doubt an awesome bit of kit! Just for the frequency us boys are out it may be a little excessive lol! unless a few of us want to go in on a group buy on one and split it between us?

Trevor

Member +
Track Day

Best days crack to do with cars i've ever had.The wee Mazda served me well and proved great even on the grass.Better proper track tyres for the next time will definately be a big help.

gv1.3

Admin
looks like a great day... thanks for sharing it with us guys.

was wondering how long the trackstar would hold out :( Ill keep my eye on the members car thread to see if you decide what to do with her next..