Laptop Recomendations

Motor

Member +
Starting college next week and will need a laptop. Mostly for research and essays. Anybody have any recomendations on what to get, preferably one of the better known makes eg.Toshiba, Sony or HP.
Cheers :)

pig666eon

Member +
ive had a few and hp/compaq is by far the best never had one issue with this one at all

i sent back my vaio twice for problems and only had it 6 months my sis also got one and missed the recall on her model prone to fire it said!! crazy!!!

in my opinion get a good spec hp/compaq and it will last you for years

lots of these new computers are bogged down with stuff you wont even need and slows down everything

and stay away from vaios trouble and expensive

got this one 2 years ago and still up to date out preform most new out there and was 700 euro

to look out for:

dual/quad core processor

3-4 gb ram

250gb-320 gb hard drive

nvidia graphix card

wifi

stay away from vista go windows 7 if your buying new if not ill give you my email and i can sort you out with that

danb87

South East England Area Rep
go for the acer 6930g, its one of the most popular units, got great features. an there pretty wel priced.

Gryzor

Admin
how much you spending ?
what course are you doing ?

if its just for essaies some kind of netbook will do the job nicely.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
I got a ADVENT laptop, dont know the spec's but its a pretty good laptop, had it about 2year's an its still performing well...

goldenvtr

Member +
Toshiba are best on the market for reliablility. you done need any special for essays, internet and streeming videos accross a network ect like linking to xbox or another pc.

if you have to get one now at least get vista premium as basic sucks bigtime but you should get a free windows 7 upgrade if ur buying form a shop.

ive got a samsung nc10 netbook i use for messing about on and great portability as its only 10.2" but fi your doing essays ect you probly going to want a 15"+ screen and that give you full size keyboard.

get at least a dual core preosessor and stay away from single core prosessors like the celeron and sempron as there just poo.

Motor

Member +
how much you spending ?
what course are you doing ?

if its just for essaies some kind of netbook will do the job nicely.

Don't want to spend more than E700-800. Doing law so it's going to be mostly for research and essays.
Thanks for all the info everyone

Personally I would go for Dell notebook, In my opinion they are one of the most reliable companys in the World and produce some great systems for good prices. Personally im using a Dell XPS M1530 which is an amazing piece of kit with some excellent features. Could get one of these for around £800.
But yourself could look at the new Inspirion range aswell as the new Studio range for a decent 4GB laptop, with good processor, hard drive etc you would be looking around £600. Also they have by far the best repairs procedure than any other manufacturer out there and will have your system back to you within 7 working days. Or if you upgrade the warranty for an extra around £100 they will have a engineer at your door the next day to repair it for you for 3 years!!
A final note to that is out of all systems Dell sell I beieve something around 3% ever fail in the life of the warranty.
P.S. I used to work for Dell:haha:
Christy

Phil

Super Moderator
dell studio here.

awesome laptop, and i run heavy software for work. CAD pamcad/ADT/max vis plus all the usual MX office gear.

Phil

Gryzor

Admin
Don't want to spend more than E700-800. Doing law so it's going to be mostly for research and essays.
Thanks for all the info everyone

If your looking at spending €800 including software something like this adds up..

Dell™ Latitude™ E5400 (L0854001)
Price € 945.00
Discount € 143.00
Subtotal € 802.00

Latitude E5400 - Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7250(2.0GHz,800MHz, 2MB)
Microsoft Operating System:
Genuine Windows Vista ® Home Basic SP1 32Bit
Microsoft® Office 2007 Basic
14.1 inch Wide Screen WXGA LCD Panel WITHOUT mobile Broadband option possible
4GB 800MHz DDR2 memory (2 x 2GB)
Hard Drive:160GB Serial ATA (5400RPm)
8X DVD+/-RW Drive (with Software)
Primary Battery:6 Cell 56WHr LI-ION Primary Battery
Carrying Cases:Nylon Black Top Load Carrying Case for 15in Laptops

really the only upgrades are the 4GB of ram and the 6 cell battery.

qadir786

Fresh Recruit
i just purhcased a new laptop for uni i got my self a mac book pro and it is still running the same as the day i purchased it.

really if you wana save your self from headaches of a laptop crashing and getting viruses just spend the extra money and get a normal macbook. also to update the OS only cost as little as £25 which is what i have done on my as if you wana go form windows vista to windows 7 it is gonna cost alot more then £25.

also a macbook looks really sexy :p

my pro has:
processor: 2.8ghz intel core duo processor

memory: 4gb 1067 mhz ddr3

graphics : has two graphics cards
nvidia Geforce 9400m and a GT version of the same card.

hard drive: 500gb

screen size: 15inch

this probably one of the fastest laptops out there at moment!. also no need to worry mostly all the pc software like office and stuff works on these :)

emmalouise

Fresh Recruit
I have got the Toshiba Satellite L300, Good Laptop if your just wanting it for you starting college.

it's got windows vista home on it installed, has 3gb of RAM and already has Microsoft Works application installed. You also get a 60day trail of Microsoft Word 2007. But the Works is already has everything in it! perfect for college!

It was only £400 aswell

To be honest my college gave us Dell Laptop's for our course (can't remember which model). It did the job but we're constantly having problems with them. so I personally wouldn't go for that, but thats my opinion

Hope this is some kind of help :)

Last edited: