Larger front brakes - another option?

Texx

Super Moderator
A while back on a bit of a whim I picked up the front brakes from a '01-'04 ZZE123 Corolla T Sport. Today I though I'd offer them up and see if I'd wasted my money. Only by pure luck things actually look pretty good.

OK, they're still single pot calipers, but for me the stock single pot calipers offer sufficient clamping force, it's just the digestive biscuit brake discs that let the stock set up down. The Starlet I believe uses a 255x18mm disc, the ZZE123 Corolla uses a 275x25mm disc with the same 55mm center bore and 4x100 stud pattern.

The T Sport brakes will bolt straight on (although you need to lose the dust shield from behind the disc), but the brake disc will need spacing out approx 4-5mm to clear the caliper carrier. However saying that I'm going to see about having 1-2mm skimmed from the rear inside edge of the carrier so a thinner spacer can be used.

Anyway, some photos for those that are interested. :)
(Please excuse the wheels, they've seen better days and are in desperate need of a refurb.)

Stock brakes

06052010.jpg

Corolla brakes

06052010_001.jpg

06052010_003.jpg

Stock discs vs Corolla discs

06052010_004.jpg

06052010_006.jpg

I'll give an update if I can actually get them on and working.

Last edited:

whiteglanzav

Member +
the calipers do look a lot meatier as do the discs aslong as it all "fits" and the line fits into the caliper as long as they are bled up they should be fine mate.

do the hubs stil protrude through the centre of the disc ??

my levin twinpot conversion bolted straight on with no brackets or anything, the disc is 3-4 mm bigger than stock but alot wider - i didnt need to take off the shield and they stop very very well i do have some piks but havent had chance to get them on here yet

Brad_L

Member +
t-sport brakes are quite good.

ive driven the t-sport i got very hard and i think they are alot better then gt brakes

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Very nice find terry, just one question though. i was under the impression that the corrola t-sport had a 5x100 stud pattern... how did u manage to find a 4x100 t-sport disk?

kon

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
thanks for that brad :)

maybe the one i saw was different coz it was a euro model.. meh :rolleyes:

kon

Texx

Super Moderator
Very nice find terry, just one question though. i was under the impression that the corrola t-sport had a 5x100 stud pattern... how did u manage to find a 4x100 t-sport disk?

kon

'01-'04 Corolla have the same stud pattern and center bore as the Starlet mate.

rmsnoel

Member +
What size wheels do you need to clear the t-sport brakes?

To add alittle to this thread the yanks also use corolla rear disc brakes(non-tsport) on their tercels if they cant find gt's. Plenty of lads on here with siezed rear calipers could find corolla items handier.

Iain@CRD

Lifer
We're currently looking into making our own big brake kits ;) let us know how you get on with this Texx, really good idea.

Texx

Super Moderator
looks like longer studs may be needed, hopefully you can confirm

The thickness of the disc that fits over the studs and onto the hub is the same as a stock brake disc. So if removing a small amount of metal from the caliper carrier will allow the Corolla disc to sit flush up against the hub, longer studs won't be required. However if this can't be achieved by machining the carrier, then the disc will need to be spaced away from the hub and so longer studs may be necessary depending on how thick the spacers will need to be.

I test fitted them using a variety of washers and some masking tape in about 30 minutes before I needed to go off to work, so didn't bother to take any measurements as they would have been too inaccurate. I'm hoping to have a better look on Saturday, but at the moment the weather forecast is predicting rain so it's not looking too hopeful. As soon as I make any progress you guys will be the first to know.

I picked up both front calipers with carriers including the used discs and pads (didn't see the point in spending good money on new discs and pads if they weren't going to fit) for £40, so if these brakes give a good improvement over the stock set up it'll certainly be a cheap upgrade. Also to add, I have a suspicion that the D4D diesel Corolla uses a similar set up, so those brakes may also fit with limited modification.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
The thickness of the disc that fits over the studs and onto the hub is the same as a stock brake disc. So if removing a small amount of metal from the caliper carrier will allow the Corolla disc to sit flush up against the hub, longer studs won't be required. However if this can't be achieved by machining the carrier, then the disc will need to be spaced away from the hub and so longer studs may be necessary depending on how thick the spacers will need to be.

I test fitted them using a variety of washers and some masking tape in about 30 minutes before I needed to go off to work, so didn't bother to take any measurements as they would have been too inaccurate. I'm hoping to have a better look on Saturday, but at the moment the weather forecast is predicting rain so it's not looking too hopeful. As soon as I make any progress you guys will be the first to know.

I picked up both front calipers with carriers including the used discs and pads (didn't see the point in spending good money on new discs and pads if they weren't going to fit) for £40, so if these brakes give a good improvement over the stock set up it'll certainly be a cheap upgrade. Also to add, I have a suspicion that the D4D diesel Corolla uses a similar set up, so those brakes may also fit with limited modification.

good work keep us updated cheers

It looks like the weight from the car will be lying on the wheel studs because the wider brake disc has taken up most of the spigot where the centre of the wheels should fit onto. Would this not be quite dangerous?

If you don't understand what I mean I will re-phase it again (it's late now!)

Texx

Super Moderator
It looks like the weight from the car will be lying on the wheel studs because the wider brake disc has taken up most of the spigot where the centre of the wheels should fit onto. Would this not be quite dangerous?

I hear what your saying Aidan, but taking into account that the Corolla brake disc isn't any thicker in that area than a stock disc and also the disc isn't sitting flush against the hub in that photo, I'm hoping this wont be too much of a concern.

I've just spent the last 30 minutes or so led on the dining room floor looking at these brakes (I know, it's a sad existence), but really I need to get them back on the car and take some true accurate measurements before I can convince myself these are going to work.

corofin12345

Member +
i have aftermarket discs on the front of my v and they are as big as these and ive had no problems with them.. i dont think ull have a problem cause weight isnt an issue.. id think differently if it was a bigger car

weeJohn

Lifer

If you don't understand what I mean I will re-phase it again (it's late now!)

The majority of spigot rings for aftermarket wheels are made of plastic now so I doubt there is a lot of weight on them or they would be metal.

When the wheel is bolted tight to the hub all the weight is carried through the studs anyway, as the wheel does not move about on the hubs, its centered on the hub by the wheel nuts chamfer.

I have used alloys without spigot rings before without problems, really they are only necessary for cars without studs fitted to the hubs but bolts. The ring assists in centering and holding the wheel before fitting and tightening. After that the wheel nuts hold it in place.