larger fuel tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dark_knight

Member +
i've been wondering.. are there any safe ways of increasing the capacity of the stock fuel tank..? would it be possible to have a rubberized tank (like those used in nas car racers) lie in the trunk area and have it plumbed to the stock tank..? if this was a tall order, how about another tank from another car that would fit with some minor level of mods..?
just curious.. share your thoughts..

dark_knight

Member +
@Spark-plug; not really long-distance racing, but more really about veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long-distance road trips. planning one and the shortest distance between gas stops at one point is 800kms (~500mi)! i know i can carry gas in cans but just thinking something more permanent and that would also look cool, while staying safe! :)

dark_knight

Member +
when i do a full tank at the pumps after getting to my fuel light and running for maybe 30kms (~18mi), i only get a maximum of about 35 liters in (~7.5gal) before the tank is completely brimmed. the data sheet from toyota says that the tank is 45 liters (~10gal) so i'd presume the reserve that triggers the gas light is about 10 liters (~2gal)..? i would love to get my total tank capacity to even double that.. 90 or even 100 liters (~22gal). i can only imagine that would be a hell of a load when full.. :D lol

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
afaik the warning light appears when there is 1 gallon (ie 5 lts) left in the tank :)

kon

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Just fit a 30l racing tank in the boot and have it work like a surge tank.

So Stock tank -> fuel pump -> Into Fuel cell -> Fuel cell pump -> fuel rail then back to the stock tank.

Would give you 60-70 litres of fuel but its an expensive way to replace a jerry can.

dark_knight

Member +
@spuddy: lol at "an expensive way to replace a jerry can" :) hehehe.. i think i'll stick with my jerrycan in this case then..

dark_knight

Member +
@HYBRID: fuel light on at 5 liters makes sense but then the question remains, does this mean that as soon as the light comes on, the tank has hit the 5 liter mark..? i ask because on mine, the light seems to warn you by coming on then off after a few moments (even when driving on level ground e.g the highway). then after a few on-off flashes, it will then stay on. i'd just like to pick your brains and perhaps someone on here who has driven til the car choked to a standstill..? :) it would be nice to know approximately how many kms i have left after the light shows up..

Status
Not open for further replies.