Laws on Front Bumper

lleey2k4

Member +
Just wondering what the laws are on the front bumper?

As my mate is in the process of spraying my bumper and it wont be ready until Monday night possibly Tuesday (gestimate)

So that means i would have to drive to work Monday and Tuesday with no front bumper.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
It depend's on how the cop's are round were u live...

I drove round for 3day's with no front bumper and the cop's were fine, but some of them can be funny...

Just check there are no sharp bit's sticking out...

lleey2k4

Member +
Well to be honest nothing really sharp sticking out just abit of plastic and the bar which looks like a bumper support bar.

Was going to phone the police tomorrow as 1 of my mates drove round abit without any trouble he said he phoned police and they said '

its not illegal but if they see you they will stop you and aslong as its only temporary its fine.'

But i would rather find out for sure.

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Thats a good point...
Pop in to police and say you are jus useing car for a day to get to work and home, think they will be ok with you about it so long as they know....

dan_ep82

Member +
as far as i no its illegal as if u hit a padestrian there injuries could be worse from hitting the hard/ sharp edges of the body work and chassis

it would fail an MOT on it so i am 90% sure its illegal.

dan

lleey2k4

Member +
I haven't got the number plate in the windscreen. On the Metal support that goes acrossjust below the lights there are 2 holes i have the number plate cable ties to that so it is at the furthest froward place, which is good.

It's just getting to work and back which im worried about.

nexia201

Member +
its illegal mate even here in the land that you could get away with everything you would still get sacked for that!

GTti

Member +
I don't think it's illegal, there are penty of 4x4 owners who remove filmsy plastic bumbers.

I think you'd be OK as long as:

Lights, fog lights, indicators and number plate are all in working order.

nexia201

Member +
Nope there is a contravention that says 'not keeping car clean and in good state of repair ' and that would apply in this case :argue:

WallaceGlanza

Member +
Nope there is a contravention that says 'not keeping car clean and in good state of repair ' and that would apply in this case :argue:

I've never heard of a law in this country for keeping a car clean.

Onlyinmalta.com :p

Case in point:

oim00791.JPG

Last edited:

lleey2k4

Member +
Right,

Just got off the phone to the local police.

They said they aint gonna give me permission to drive around with no front bumper, but it's not illegal aslong as the Number plate is at the furthest front part of the car and there are no sharp edges sticking out that could injur somebody. Also the only police that really will stop you is traffic patrol officers.

So looks like i should be fine to drive to work tomorrow without it on if my bumper is dry enough to use.