leaking oil out of dump valve

conrado07

Fresh Recruit
my mate had a dump valve fitted and there is oil coming out of the dump valve. Its fitted to the pipe connected to the intercooler like a normal dump valve.

does anybody know what is wrong.

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
I'd agree with the above, exactly the same happened to me. Fitted a hybrid and all has been (more than :p) fine ever since.

Ive had a blow off valve on my car for a few months and there is an oily residue under the bonnet above the bov, thats normal right? its not thick tho.

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
In my experience generally oil from the dump valve indicates piston/piston ring damage, most likely is ringland failure, but again get a compression test done and then you can rule it out.

~Nick

sx_turbo

Lifer
In my experience generally oil from the dump valve indicates piston/piston ring damage, most likely is ringland failure, but again get a compression test done and then you can rule it out.

~Nick

im glad you said that last time i mentioned that on the old forum, it caused a huge argument.

Nick@TD.co.uk

im glad you said that last time i mentioned that on the old forum, it caused a huge argument.
Yeah alot of people say Turbo seals first which i understand but generally oil from bov is a engine problem (ringlands) and smoke from exhaust on idle etc is turbo seals.

But then again can't really say 100% which checking the car over, i recommend doing a compression test before anything else though!

sx_turbo

Lifer
Yeah alot of people say Turbo seals first which i understand but generally oil from bov is a engine problem (ringlands) and smoke from exhaust on idle etc is turbo seals.

But then again can't really say 100% which checking the car over, i recommend doing a compression test before anything else though!

yes i agree compression test is first and foremost.

i just got moaned at last time for saying it was a possibility, and to do a compressiontest first.

i done the mistake of assuming it was turbo, and it cost me a lot of money that it shouldnt have done.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
but how would oil from the combusion chambers find it's way into the air intake? (except via a breather pipe)

btw, not dissmissing what you've said, just interested to know.

Toplap

Lifer
I had a similiar situation when i first purchased mine. Ended up the PCV valve was stuck closed and not properly venting the crank case. the back up in pressure was great enough to cause oil to come through the Bypass valve. Got a New PCV and it solved everything. i was lucky it wasnt the Turbo seals...maybe you can be just as lucky :)

Nick@TD.co.uk

but how would oil from the combusion chambers find it's way into the air intake? (except via a breather pipe)

btw, not dissmissing what you've said, just interested to know.
Well it will be coming from the breather pipe off the rocker cover, pressurising the oil and pushing it out of the breather pipe into the intake and then circulating back round until it finds a exit (the dump valve)

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
so, one way to check would be to remove the breather pipe from the intake pipe and vent it to atmosphere, then see if oil continues to leak from the BOV.

TurboDave

Member +
Well it will be coming from the breather pipe off the rocker cover, pressurising the oil and pushing it out of the breather pipe into the intake and then circulating back round until it finds a exit (the dump valve)

If its an aftermarket bov the crankcase breather would not be connected to the bov and it would have no route back to the bov.

Unless the standard crankcase breather is still connected to the standard bov and is allowing oil to be pushed into the intake piping and through the turbo into the intercooler piping and out of the bov.