little red button

scgtt

Fresh Recruit
Evening all,to thoughs who know a bit about these cars,i have an auto ep82 and i was wondering what the little red button was for on the plastic surround at the base of the gearstick?:confused:

iamlegend

Member +
when the engine or ignition is switched off and no key is in there... when you try to shift the stick it will not move it will be locked.... push that button in and shift the stick it will move ��

Paul_JJ

Member +
when the engine or ignition is switched off and no key is in there... when you try to shift the stick it will not move it will be locked.... push that button in and shift the stick it will move ��

No it won't! It will NOT MOVE, unless you put the key in the ignition! This is anti-theft measure - there is a cable coming from the ignition to the gearbox leaver.

But you were close indeed -) the red button is for the service needs, when the key is in the ignition you can push that button and you can move the leaver off the P gear, without pressing the brake pedal. To be honest I've never done it myself, but this the description of the button from my Starlet manual, translated from the Japanese.

Paul_JJ

Member +
Its for towing or moving the car not by the engine, to save the torque converter.

Well my book says that it's not allowed to TOW the Auto gearbox, unless the front wheels off the ground.
So are you saying that the button disconnect the torque converter from the gearbox?

Jay

Admin
The red button allows you to shift the selector without ignition, like with a flat battery. I'd imagine that's just to allow you getting it bumpstarted or pushed out of the way.

Wouldn't fancy towing my auto no matter what the book says TBH, would definitely keep the front wheels off the ground if I suffered a breakdown.

Jay

weeJohn

Lifer
Well my book says that it's not allowed to TOW the Auto gearbox, unless the front wheels off the ground.
So are you saying that the button disconnect the torque converter from the gearbox?

My mistake, I misunderstood the reason for it and that was bad advice I gave.