lower arm anti lift kit bolt has snapped

anyone help me, i was tightnin the bolt for the anti-lift kit and it started getttin harder to tightin then crunch the bolt is still in the nut but the nut inside the chassis bit has snapped, if anyone gets what im sayin plz tell me how to fix this. ive got one bolt in and obv the other is only hand tight, will it hold if i drive it carefully.

dac69er

Super Moderator
weld the plate on mate. i had to do this on my rear gearbox mount. when i have time i will cut a hole out, grind the bolt off and reweld another captive nut inside. then ill weld the metal back in place and should be as good as new!

its a bastard but cutting the floor is the only way to do it properly unless you just weld it in place like ive done. 6 months + and its still 100%

Jay

Admin
It is IMPERATIVE that both of those bolts are securely torqued up.

If that wishbone comes loose you will lose control of the car. I know it's not what you want to hear but I've seen one car totalled thanks to a loose wishbone bush.

Gtstu

Member +
in the car on the side its spining there is a patch that can be removed and then you need to open the hole a bit gret a spanner in ther and hold it while some one tightens it up then bend the bit you opened up back and replace the patch if you want thats what i have done a few times

dac69er

Super Moderator
a patch? surely you have to cut this out though and then reweld it?

may as well weld a nut in place to save messing about in the future rather than just doing it up as it is.

Gtstu

Member +
its like a sticker that you can pull off you could spot weld the nut back on but if he hasnt got a welder etc

dac69er

Super Moderator
its like a sticker that you can pull off you could spot weld the nut back on but if he hasnt got a welder etc

fair enough. never noticed tbh. ill have a look next time im under the car. pity there isnt one for the rear engine mount bolts :(

dac69er

Super Moderator
ok, i get ya. still cant picture it, but like i said. will have a gander when i have a chance. interesting bit of info ;)

Llawgoch

Member +
drill the remainder of the bolt out of the hole and clean the thread out with a tap. or drill it out to a bigger size then helicoil it back down. alot easier and neater than gettin a welder onit.

dac69er

Super Moderator
drill the remainder of the bolt out of the hole and clean the thread out with a tap. or drill it out to a bigger size then helicoil it back down. alot easier and neater than gettin a welder onit.

the captive nut has snapped inside the chassis. there will be nothing there to helicoil. if you chop the bolt off then you will have a nut rolling around in the chassis making a noise