LSD, anyone used one a starlet?

mctagart

Member +
Hello

Want to fit a LSD to my starlet which has a standard diff, have heard about the Cusco ones but wanted to know if anyone has ever fitted one and if they were any good.

Want to use the car on track alot and feel this would be a great improvement on performance in getting the power down earlier.

Thanks

Craig

scot-ish

Member +
many o them come standard with lsd mat, ut prb worth buyin a TRD one or thelikes, there on ebay, and widely available other places, very good mod indeed

sx_turbo

Lifer
cusco ones are quite aggresive.

cusco, trd and kaaz are all quite agressive due to them being mecahnical types.

trd have discontinued there helical one.

quiffe are helical types, and are probably the quietest lsd out there, and are renowned for being the best.

if i were to buy an lsd again, i would pay the extra and get the qauiffe

Nippon

Member +
I have an LSD in my starbo. Its a TRD one but i have no idea what type. Any way of telling???

steveatyork

Member +
cant vouch for the quiffe but the cusco will be good. as u said its for the track.and it is a racing diff so i would reccomend the cusco 1.woudnt reccomend it for the road unless u can put up with the harshness.as ricky said prob the quiff will do for the road

mctagart

Member +
when you say harshness how do you mean, with the power delivery, or are they just noisy.

Looking into these things they say you can have 60% 80% and 100%, i guess this means when you hammer the throttle it locks the diff and applies all the power to both wheels, with a certin amount of diff slip depending on the percentage you selected when you installed it.

Am i right or wrong lol!

Last edited:

bigdoods

Member +
i have a gearbox with trd 2 way diff installed for sale.the trd one you cant hear a clunk from but is really noticable when driving.the trd one is adjustable from 1.5 way to 2way although i dont know how to change it.

SumoDan

Trader
Im running the Cusco 1.5, its the mutts nutts. Only problem with it is low speed turning and pulling out of roads and stuff, makes a horrible noise and jolts the car about abit. You get use to it.

If you can put up with it and you don't mind the noise then its 100% worth getting for track days, Uber amounts of grip :)

sx_turbo

Lifer
i have a gearbox with trd 2 way diff installed for sale.the trd one you cant hear a clunk from but is really noticable when driving.the trd one is adjustable from 1.5 way to 2way although i dont know how to change it.

depends what trd diff you have.

the helical dont make a noise really, but the mechanical ones really clunk.

the trd mechanical one i have is very noisy and is embarrasing when trying to park in tight spaces lol

mine is so harsh that when doing tight turns the wheels lock and the tyres squeel and again is embarrasing cos people think i'm doing burnoouts

Rory

Lifer
Ive run the Cusco unit and the Quaiffe.

Cusco worked really well, but it was that tight it clunked everywhere unless you were on the boil. Was fine in a straight line but tight turning was a big no no. Clunked like a mother f*c*er.

On the other hand, the Quaiffe is superb everywhere.
No bangs or clunks, and works just aswell. Fit and forget really. When not on the boil it still works just aswell.

I now run the Quaiffe all the time, and it is the best £600 odd spent on the handling of the car. :)

mctagart

Member +
as gay as the Quaife LSD sounds, after reading some stuff on google. This is the boy for me! No way would i put a cusco one on!

asifatyard21

Member +
i have recently fitted a cusco 1.5 lsd it is aswesome, the handling has improved a vast amount the grip is immense. but it is very harsh as earlyier stated and does clunk and jolt the car when turning at low speeds.

A

Animal GT

quick question! i got a teg r last week and the owner said it needed 2 cv joints!! i meself didnt and dont tink it does, but its doing exactly wat some you guys have said!! and by chance i was chatting with a guy that has a integra and he spent alot of cash on his gearbox with uprated diffs etc and his does the exact same clunk like a bitch,as it your tinking somtings going to pop out! or break,lol so am now tinking theres a aftermarket diff init..so question is,is it ok to give it the boot when its makin noise as in turning? just doesnt feel right doing it..ha,

mctagart

Member +
i doubt its got one in it, it would have been doing it from day one you bought it. Plus you dont want that popping out when your driving, it will make a right mess!

A

Animal GT

it has been doing it since i bought it! and i couldnt even tell ya how long the last owner had it for..