LSD decision time

i'm after your personal experiences with LSDs....i want to buy one....BUT no noise and low maintenance is what i'm after.....i hear good things about quaiffe...BUT its out of my budget

so here's the list:
- trd helical.....proving a little hard to get now as it has been discontinued...my 1st choice:p
- trd mechanical---available....but has clutches...i heard its noisy??
- quaiffe-----very good...very pricey are what i've heard
- cusco rs
- cusco mz
- kaaz-----i heard its noisy

apart from the trd helical and quaiffe...i heard most of the others are noisy....is this wrong info?

additional questions/concerns

is clutch type and mechanical terms used inter-changeably (mean the same thing)

do the clutch type need to be adjusted BEFORE u install them?.......i assume if u buy them new, then they would come pre-adjusted

which clutch type is generally used....1 way or 1.5 way?

should 2 way LSD be used in FWD cars like our ep82/91?

do all these clutch type lsd make that "clicking/noisy" sound??

are the trd clutch types noisy?....i have heard that kaaz is noisy...have seen for myself that cusco is noisy (BUT maybe the wrong oil was used or it was not set correctly)

have only heard that quaiffe and trd heleical are quiet

i figure only 2 way LSDs were noisy......so maybe some of thse clutch type 1/1.5 way lsd may need adjusting to get rid of the noise??----or will they be noisy anyway

some people say the "correct" oil will cure the noise....is this true?

yeah...i know its a long list....but when spending money....better to ask some questions first than find out the hard way later

all experiences/views/help appreciated on ALL the above LSDs

PS- i know some of the answers to my questions......but i want to use this tread as a learning tool for some of those who dont know anything at all

Last edited:

cole

Member +
i think akki had a cusco 1 in his k26 glanza it clunked round corners but sounded awsome :) adds to the fun feeling of the car imo

Chris@CCM

Member +
a clutch type 1.5 way only way to go ! if ur using the rite oil and its run in and set up rite it should not be that noisy. i had a clutch type diff in my old starlet and it was not noisy at all :)

Rory

Lifer
Save your money and go Quaiffe.

You will not regret it, and its very low maintenece. Life time garantee to boot.

Ive got a Cusco 1 way LSD and the Quaiffe.

Cusco gets anoying after about a week with the clunking etc. But if your "hardcore" then its fine.

A Quaiffe on the other hand, is superb. No noises and you would know you had it until you were wanting to. Cannot fault them

Dave.

Member +
I've no idea what diff i have in mine, but the grip off the line is awesome, and it never clunks either! :)

How do you find out lol?

Dave

Chris@CCM

Member +
what brand did u have mi16chris?
thanks
no idea mate as it came in the gear box just . i was told by a guy i know who builts loads of rally and race cars for a living that plate type diffs are the best and the had nothing good to say about the atb diffs. ppl say about needing to recon plate type diffs but they take a long long time to were out. hope that helps mate. i beleve ats is a plate type (clutch type)

and dont forget guys...give as much info about the lsd u have if possible....i know some have just bought lsd in a box....so in such a case it would not be possible to eloborate too much

Dave.

Member +
Anti-torque-bias I think...

Description
Quaife 10309190
The Quaife differential powers both drive wheels under nearly all conditions, instead of just one. With an ordinary open differential, standard on most cars, a lot of precious power is wasted during wheelspin under acceleration. This happens because the open differential shifts power to the wheel with less grip (along the path of least resistance). The Quaife, however, does just the opposite. It senses which wheel has the better grip, and biases the power to that wheel. It does this smoothly and constantly and without ever completely removing power from the other wheel.

Last edited:

Aidan-G

Member +
i put a cusco mz 1.5way in my box recently and of corse i put the wrong oil in it(ordinary 75w90).i couldnt drive the car atal,it was unbelievable..so i got proper mobil lsd oil into it which cured it to an extent,and added some redline friction modifier to it,just a few drops bit by bit till it stoped clunking...now ther isnt a noise coming from it atal:)..its transformed the car!

tom_hunt

Member +
i put a cusco mz 1.5way in my box recently and of corse i put the wrong oil in it(ordinary 75w90).i couldnt drive the car atal,it was unbelievable..so i got proper mobil lsd oil into it which cured it to an extent,and added some redline friction modifier to it,just a few drops bit by bit till it stoped clunking...now ther isnt a noise coming from it atal:)..its transformed the car!

Im gona have to do that to mine. It cluncks like a bitch! Still a good lsd though :)

Tom

Killamats

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.toyotagtturb
no idea mate as it came in the gear box just . i was told by a guy i know who builts loads of rally and race cars for a living that plate type diffs are the best and the had nothing good to say about the atb diffs. ppl say about needing to recon plate type diffs but they take a long long time to were out. hope that helps mate. i beleve ats is a plate type (clutch type)

yep yep thats rite totally agree. just to add, mine doesnt click and is very effective whatever motion the car is doing (unless slow straight line). its more expensive than other LSDs but i dont change it for anything.

NORTHERNEP82

Member +
TRD helical ones can be found in high hand AE111s so you might be lucky and find one for less than 500$

Last edited: